An ethical oath for programmers

It did, but it’s a terrible ethical code focused mostly on “doing good work”. Even when discussing societal obligations, it largely goes over things that might applicable to any field, rather any programming-specific nuances.

Wait, there’s an XKCD for that.

3 Likes

The naive person (or more often government) looks at that and says “well, then the specs were insufficient because they had to be changed. With good specs you can get good code.”

Then it takes 10 years to write the specs and they’re obsolete before the first line of code is ever written. The code also takes 10 years to write because programmers have to reference a 6" thick spec document before they do anything. And it turns out the spec writers had the same problem so the specs are actually full of design flaws.

2 Likes

I used to be happily employed by one of the largest healthcare/retirement management outsourcing gigs out there. Fuck, I am happy to report that not just myself, but everyone I know abides by this code as well as the fed and state regulations, which there are many, and they have many, many, many training sessions to make sure we’re the best out there.
I think that the general public sees us and other programmers as sloppy leaks… but we (and I speak not just for my employers, but probably for the most of the devs out there) do try our darn best to keep your private info private.
In fact, we (and this time I speak of one specific company I am intimately familiar with) go one step beyond. We actively search out ways the sites can be exploited to prevent these events.
I really wish that people would think of any day they don’t hear of a major breach and think “No breaches happened today at any company! Security is top notch today!”
Good day y’all!

It’s two you heathen!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.