An intriguing list of "little-known but obvious facts"

Telepathy obviously works directly, the commands are given in mentalese, if you don’t do it right, the victim notices.

I would know, because decades ago I was telepathically programmed so that whenever I hear the word “telepathy” (even just in my inner monologue), this song about telepathy starts playing in my head. It’s quite annoying.

3 Likes

FWIW, the conversations I have with myself are often nonsense. This brightens up my day considerably.

3 Likes

Are you saying that you hear these sentences, but it’s not you speaking them?

My point is, everything that happens in your mind is You. When you have a conversation with yourself, the actors playing the parts are all you, and those actors (necessarily) come up with their lines without thinking in words.

1 Like

I think - truly - that it is my subconscious mind and my conscious mind having a dialogue. The “voice” in my head says things that I hadn’t consciously thought of. But I get the feeling that my subconscious has been mulling over a topic and suddenly brings it to the forefront using sentences.

It is almost like there is a unique character speaking in my mind, even though you are correct that it is part of me.

4 Likes

The word canvas comes from the latin word cannabis, aka hemp.

4 Likes

The tricky thing about dealing with telepathy-regardless of narrative- is distinguishing between thoughts that came out of one’s own mind, vs thoughts that the telepath is having. Most such bleedover isn’t deliberate either.

…but only if you believe in such things. Blue pill enthusiasts can go ahead and believe whatever you want.

Video unavailable. They knew I was coming?

Mine is more of a yell-scape with splashes of whimper

2 Likes

This fits my experience, too. It’s mostly words, and sometimes not in the same languages. If I get stuck switching between them, asking myself questions can get my inner translator to figure out the word I’m consciously struggling to remember.

When I read a book, I hear a whole cast of characters - each with unique voices. I might not think in words during attempts to recall something once seen, if the image wasn’t accompanied by sound. Otherwise, the image and sound (music, dialogue, etc.) are bound together in my memory.

4 Likes

I’m having an internal dialogue right now.

5 Likes

Kind of like in Close Encounters where he knew there was a crevasse and all the 2D artists were flummoxed?

1 Like

I thought it might interest you that because I have epilepsy, I can feel things which I am unable to describe in words, and which I am unable to even describe to myself once the feeling has gone.

Its just a stray signal, turned on by a glitch.

8 Likes

More like 20,000 citations needed. Always be suspicious of “just so” factoids that sound compelling. Being compelling doesn’t make them true.

For example, pen caps have holes in them because if they are airtight the ink gets pushed back up into the reservoir when you recap it, causing the pen to run dry next time you use it. Any hobbyist pen maker can tell you this. Where does this “choking protection” idea come from? Probably a time shifted version of the Life Savers story. Our world is full of small things you could choke on and we don’t put holes in all of them just in case.

I hate lists like this. They just spread misinformation and make people annoying at cocktail parties. Then again, you can probably tell how fun I am at parties based on this rant, so maybe I don’t have any moral high ground on that last point.

12 Likes

The awful truth is nobody is fun at cocktail parties.

Try having one sober.

Or, alternately, recording one while drinking and watching while sober.

4 Likes

Yes, they keep watch. But you can trick them when you use a VPN with an endpoint in Germany.

Sorry, this has now confused me. What is the condition exactly. If you know enough of how Legos work (which is not that hard to learn), you can “imagine” (i.e., know how to achieve) a larger construct or shape, without seeing the built final result in your mind.

Other example would be: I can tell you in words “draw a smiley”. You wouldn’t need to visualize a smiley in your head before, because you visualize it on the paper in front of you as you draw it.

That’s why it’s called “cocktail party” and not “fun party” or “jokes party”, I presume?!

EDIT: Now that I think about it: I would be down for a sober jokes party :wink: Would take some prep-time, though.

1 Like

My favorite is the fact that days become shorter in the summer (and fall) and longer in the winter (and spring). Many think otherwise becuase they’ve been taught that. But summer is defined as beginning on the longest day of the year and winter on the shortest.

4 Likes

On my first visit to the USA, at about the age of 12, I spotted a “newspaper” in a supermarket checkout line. It had a headline about a woman giving birth to a green-faced alien baby (complete with an obviously fake photo), so I just had to get it as a souvenir. Next to a story about Jesus appearing in a dishwasher, there was a headline “Man Invents Machine that Tape-Records Thoughts”.

My only reaction back then was, “if you are thinking slow enough for your thoughts to be recorded on tape, then you might just be dumb enough to believe this”.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t people who don’t have an internal spoken narrative still have internal thoughts, be they images or text, which could still be susceptible to telepathy?

That said, Bester’s The Demolished Man relies on internal narrative as a device to block telepathy.

Eight, sir; seven, sir;
Six, sir; five, sir;
Four, sir; three, sir;
Two, sir; one!
Tenser, said the Tensor.
Tenser, said the Tensor.
Tension, apprehension,
And dissension have begun

7 Likes