An intriguing list of "little-known but obvious facts"

It only really works in a mixture of American and English English. In American, an eraser isn’t called a rubber, and in English, a condom isn’t.

2 Likes

I think this sums up most of this thread:

2 Likes

Imma just gonna leave this here…

5 Likes

hmm… is it not though? That seems like it would be a fairly constrained definition of “thought”.
Perhaps this is working from a more highly specified framework?

Webster seems to disagree.
esp.

3a : reasoning power

b : the power to imagine : conception

If anything this post/discussion has definitely been a good reminder of the extent and variety of neural styles.

2 Likes

Maybe in your region. I’ve lived in Northern Ireland, Scotland, south of England (Home Counties) and currently live in Manchester. “Rubber” would be clearly understood in all these regions - unless of course there was confusion with a game of billiards.

I would be curious about the other two, too. No clue why he didn’t just list all 5. its probably in his books.

Can relate to this with regard to dreams - (am someone who rarely has memories of dreams). However, I’m vaguely aware that the majority of dream states that occur for me (and I suspect these are somewhat frequent), are indescribably alien and no coherent semblance of them can be transported into waking/consensus reality.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.