Animation of an elegant air traffic nightmare caused by a drone

Thus amplifying the already incalculable threat posed by R/C cars, pet dogs and cats, self-propelled suitcases, and everything else capable of having a weapon duct-taped to it. Speaking on behalf of your elected representatives in Washington, I can assure you that legislation against all moving objects is an important item on our agenda! Please donate heavily to support the cause.

4 Likes

perfectó

If I read that correctly, there’s no point in bothering with self-policing because someone will just come along and do something unlikely and impractical?

Sounds a bit like an end seeking a means to itself.

Rationalization does not lead to sound rationale. Evidence based solutions oriented thinking is called for, and I wish you well with it.

it is difficult, complaining IS easier!

Good point. Hardly anything out there lasts more than 25 minutes.

Apparently some carry these

http://www.crozierbagpipes.com/Reed-Family-Omega.php

2 Likes

You’d think that a county that developed technology to see if your watching a untaxed TV inside your own home could trace the location and owner of the drone pretty quickly.

3 Likes

It would not be too difficult to get an aviation transponder mounted on a fairly fast drone so that it could spoof as a slow flying airplane.

Then watch the chaos begin. “Aircraft squawking 2605, please identify!!..”

2 Likes
3 Likes

Not really a fair comparison though. All those are way less flexible to deliver onto a specific target than a drone. Training pets is hard and takes years, anything with wheels is easily thwarted with a fence, flying traditional RC aircraft is hard hand takes lots f practice.

Any idiot with some money and a grudge can fly a GPS enabled drone onto a target.

Not saying we should ban drones (*), but closing your eyes to the problems isn’t going to solve them.

(*) except those assholes who decided sunday morning at 6 was a good time to film around my house for 4 consecutive weeks. Please ban them (the assholes rather than the drone though)

Movie script scenarios
are seductive, but refusing to worry overmuch about overly precise problem sets is good time management. Life’s short.

Defending specifically against drones is Maginot Line thinking.

I might agree with you. I think it’s too early to call for stringent regulation on drones, and I hope it will never be necessary. However I thought your comparison with pets and rc cars was not a good comparison.

Thinking about drone regulation is a good thing imho, because drones do open up a whole set of new possibilities to a large(ish) demographic and not all of them make the world a nicer place.

1 Like

A couple months ago, I heard the distinctive sound of a drone. Someone was doing real estate photos of a house down the street. (Strictly speaking, a commercial activity that requires more paperwork than the drone weighs.)

Naturally I grabbed my phone and looked for new access points. A DJI drone with open wifi. It was sooo tempting to connect and scan for ports, but I resisted. Now if someone was persistently annoying…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.