Another mysterious monolith pops up in Romania

2 Likes

This one must have a functional chameleon circuit, though.

4 Likes

As long as they’re not here, To Serve Man.

It’s also not particularly OK in the desert.

1 Like

I for one welcome our mysterious monolith overlords

Latest phone game to replace PokemanGo, now Waka-mono-lith! Smack it down in one place and it pops up in another…
Be the first to wack’em in every location! Tresspass wherever you need to in the name of capitalism!

2 Likes

but this romanian one is just a -badly made- clone

The Utah one looked like it was indicating seating for the big Kirk vs Gorn match.

4 Likes

6 Likes

7 Likes

I wish people would stop using the word monolith for everything remotely phallic. If it’s not an upright stone or a conceptual monolith, it’s not a monolith.
Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

3 Likes

Let me tell you a little story about an area of WV, managed by the National Park service, near Blackwater State Park, named Lindy Point.

It was a popular recreational area, in use by both hikers and by off roaders. Various environmental groups kept lobbying for the motorized recreational uses to be banned. Eventually, they were.

A couple of years later, it was logged. It wasn’t a clear cut, but we’re not talking about forest management here, it was a harvest. The loggers did more damage in six months than responsible off-roaders do in decades.

Oh, the hikers threw up a stink about it; but there weren’t enough of them to bother the politicians.

This story keeps repeating itself: trails close for “environmental” reasons, then the forest is destroyed with a heavy harvest and a moonscape of mud is left behind. Or oil/gas lease. Or a coal mine goes in. Whenever the Sierra club wins, the environment loses.

Why? Because people only fight for what they know, and if you kick everyone off the land there isn’t enough people who give a crap to protect it from people who want to make money. There has to be enough people using the land to protect it or else it gets destroyed far worse than the minimal damage the people who use the land do.

Frankly, if it gets people onto the national lands- and makes them invested in protecting them, as one gets when you use public lands- we need more monoliths.

Perhaps if there had been more people using this area when the monolith was installed, it wouldn’t have been yanked out of the national monument so it could be raped of it’s natural resources for a quick buck, enriching Trump’s friends.

But lets face it, it’s not about the environment, it’s about exclusivity and keeping people out of “your” playground because people don’t like to share; given a voice because they are useful patsies for people who want to exploit the public lands to make money.

It’s kind of funny that most of the old growth forests left in the East were accounting and surveying mistakes bought up by surveyors and preserved against the wishes of the government. The government and industry was perfectly happy to clear cut everything. That’s why there are under 100 acres of land in WV that haven’t been clear cut- and it wasn’t the state or the feds or the environmentalist groups who saved it, it was scam artists who conned their way into owning the land so they could preserve it.

3 Likes

It was a warning.

2 Likes

It’s 2020 so this will be part of a marketing campaign for shitty gum with twice as much packaging.

1 Like

without inscrutable lyrics about kings and girls…

1 Like

Oh. Well, I can live with that.

William actually. Good old Willie McCracken is a bit more adjusted than his old man.

His sister Sandra is more odd though. Always looking for something. A lot of folks feel Sandy McCracken had an itch you just couldn’t scratch.

Even as a pet name? Asking for a friend.

4 Likes

I’d count it as conceptual.

1 Like
2 Likes