Another sighting of a guy in a jetpack flying over LAX

Yeah, since it’s well outside the technical capabilities of existing “jetpack” technologies, it’s almost certainly not what it’s being reported to be.

A stray balloon does seem the most likely explanation, assuming there’s actually something “real” here. I’m reminded of 19th century “UFO” sightings that were entirely based on the expectations created by Jules Verne’s fiction about flying machines - people seeing impossible dirigibles with observation decks and cocktail-sipping passengers.

If it is a balloon, it wouldn’t need to be a particularly big one - it could easily be a party balloon of some sort. Kids let balloons get away from them all the time, and airports are close enough to inhabited areas that a released balloon could easily drift over the airport.

Drone with a balloon at six thousand feet? Keeping the drone from accidentally puncturing the balloon could be an issue, but it’s not insurmountable.

My bet is on a foam cutout of a human being with model aircraft internals. You can make pretty much any shape fly these days with electric motors and ducted propellers.

Personally,my money is on these folks:

https://jetpackaviation.com/jetpacks/

They have two production jetpacks with 15,000 ft. operational ceilings, and they run a commercial jetpack pilot training school at Moorpark Airport west of LA.

4 Likes

Good call! Bet that’s the first place the feds go knocking.

Believe it or not, I’m walkin’ on air
I never thought I could feel so free
Flyin’ away on a wing and a prayer
Who could it be?
Believe it or not it’s just me

** Not a confession.

3 Likes

OTOH, NBC reports that Jetpack Aviation CEO David Mayman says it’s not theirs, and he doesn’t know who else it could be.

He seems to think it was probably a drone + inflatable combo.

Couldn’t the pilot make an announcement to the passengers then we could get many shakey mobile phone videos of the phenomena?

1 Like

https://geekologie.com/2019/08/they-are-among-us-guy-creates-floating-b.php

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.