Another truck rips its roof off on the infamous 11foot8bridge

Truck driving is an employer of last resort.

“I used 2 Men and Most of a Truck for my move!”

11 Likes

The camper at 1:40 just got itself a real close shave. Who needs the AC unit anyway?

I’ve done that, in my own garage. Not funny.

2 Likes

You know what doesn’t cost millions of dollars? A dancing traffic cop.

2 Likes

Umma have to call a certain amount of bullshit on that claim. Rebuilding a bridge is expensive, but hanging lengths of metal pipe (like wind chimes) with the same clearance, 15m either side of the bridge, is not.

I mean yes, drivers should pay attention to signs, but equally, civil engineers should account for the 0.01% who don’t.

13 Likes

Fun fact: almost all optional insurances on rental trucks specifically exclude overhead damage from the covered events.

13 Likes

There are a number of reasons this doesn’t work, not least of which is the intersection just ahead of the bridge (check out crash #122) and the fact that the previous blocks are in a historically protected area. Nevertheless, there are many, MANY signs for hundreds of yards warning of the bridge clearance, plus the laser-height measuring sign/traffic light combo.

A knock bar of some type wouldn’t hurt if they could figure out where/how to install it. That said, there might be a code limitation on where those are applied – I’ve only ever seen them in parking lots and similar low-speed areas.

The Google map hints at the complexity of this area as far as better solutions are concerned.

3 Likes

machine kills fascists

11 Likes

You don’t just decide to raise the height of a railway bridge.
Okay, you can decide it. Then you wait for the railway lines that use that bridge to be discontinued.

4 Likes

No amount of engineering, no matter how brilliant, can fix stupid.

7 Likes

For the lateral version: my brother used to park his big touring bike in the front yard and ride it through the pedestrian gate every day.

Then he was a bit careless one morning and caught a pannier on the fence…

1 Like

Whoa - good to know!

My recollection (from last time I watched) is that he was briefly stunned or knocked out.

1 Like

When renting a vehicle, always check the fine print in the contract.

3 Likes

Not really, it takes several weeks of training that generally costs thousands of dollars, and the ability to pass a CDL written test which is far more complicated than the one for passenger cars. Notice that the vast majority of the accidents at this bridge are rental trucks, sub-24 foot box trucks (which even if they’re commercial require no prior training), and RVs, not large commercial vehicles.

7 Likes

Wow, “act of God” has taken on a whole new meaning…:laughing:

2 Likes

The collisions might be a little softer if they sharpened that crossbar.

4 Likes

When you drive into some parking garages they often hang short pieces of steel pipe from chains so you know when you don’t have clearance… What if they hung them 20’ back from the bridge? Seems like that could prevent some of those accidents?

1 Like

How does Budget Moving save you so much money?

Low overhead!

21 Likes