Apple says it will start selling replacement parts and provide repair guides for iPhones, Macs

As do I. I’ll believe it when I see it, and actually make the products themselves more friendly to being opened up to repair (and upgradability!) once again. (I shouldn’t need a heat gun, and a plastic spudger to get the case open, especially if all I’m wanting to do is throw more memory into it, or replace the storage device with a newer/larger model.)

The video in question.

I’ll believe it when he gets his first bulk shipment of ‘new from the factory’ ISL9240 chips.

1 Like

I wonder if they said “which will allow customers” just because it flows better than “we’ll be selling Apple FRUs and service tools separately”; or if when they say ‘customers’ they very, very, specifically mean ‘customers’.

If the program involves me plugging in the serial number of a device associated with my Apple ID in order to receive a new screen that has been cryptographically authorized to connect to that phone without disabling various features or popping up warning messages; that’s a lot different than “Joe’s Indy Iphone Repair can order 100 iphone 13 screen modules and start popping 'em in as fast as his dexterity allows”.

Given that the exercise is to get regulators off their backs; it’d be pretty gutsy to do something like that; but it would be entirely technically feasible to literally " allow customers who are comfortable with completing their own repairs access to Apple genuine parts and tools"; but not actually provide any of the useful side effects that would be expected from that announcement, like general availability of parts and tools.

Being able to order parts for something you wish to repair is certainly better than not being able to; but the technical underpinnings exist(and Apple would appear to like to) make this offering almost aggressively unhelpful to 3rd party service techs.

1 Like

Oh great. Indy repair shops can expect to see an influx of “DIY” folks bringing in their shorted iphone in a ziplock baggy with miscellaneous components and screws after they attempt the repair themselves.

1 Like

Upgrade? Really? You mean I won’t have to pay 100 dollars to get the “better” model whose only difference is two dollars of RAM? Yay!

Parts: a new phone counts as a part, doesn’t it?

Manual: a single page that reads

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.