Aquaman will never be cool no matter how hard DC tries

I actually loved this costume and run…

2 Likes

Aquaman should be very cool, the water down at the bottom of the ocean is quite cool, as it is far from the sun’s warming rays.

1 Like

I actually thought the grim concept behind BvS was quite a good one. Lot of good ideas which freshened up the enterprise, just the big ones were all poorly executed.

I really don’t understand it either. They had the blueprint for an interesting blockbuster with established characters; it shouldn’t be that hard to build it to spec!

It’s not just you, and it’s not just blue: it’s Hollywood, and it’s blue and orange:

4 Likes

Plus DC/Warner Bros. has an excellent decades-long track record for bringing these characters to life in animated form. I still haven’t seen a Marvel cartoon that can touch the stuff DC was doing in the 1990s. Even the LEGO movies were well done.

They just can’t seem to nail live action movies for any character other than Batman (or maybe Wonder Woman).

2 Likes

My pet theory is that they need someone to reign in Zac Snyder. Since left to his own devices, he is hit-or-miss.

That’s the problem; he’s a Lord. One of the oppressors.

Huh. Which are the hits?

Watchmen, 300, Dawn of the Dead (as director)

Kind of a kid’s movie (super different from the rest of his work), but I thought Legend of the Guardians was pretty good.

Wonder Woman was pretty good with him as writer.

1 Like

14 Likes

Um … what else is the trailer for, except to form an opinion of the movie it touts?

7 Likes
6 Likes

I don’t know much about the comics, but looking at the trailer, it doesn’t look that grim and dark, particularly with the quips and such. If anything, it looks like they’re trying to lean in a more Marvel-esque direction- maybe a little too far. To me, it looks like they’re trying to make “Thor, But Underwater!”

3 Likes

That trailer looks … good?

ariel-facepalm

1 Like

“You think you’re unworthy to lead because you’re of two different worlds, but that is exactly why you are worthy” sounds like a vote for Killmonger to me.

3 Likes

Y’know what’s way, way, worse than a few gritty one-liners and some ANGST?

The fact that ‘Atlantis v. surface world’ is eerily reminiscent of Gungans v. Trade Federation; in underwater architecture, giant-battle-animals-because, and general look and feel; along with a few jedi trident duels.

Meesa Aquaman! Meesa cause little bitty gritty reboot!

2 Likes

In fairness, doesn’t that sentence kinda sum up… well all of the DCU? It seems like it’s more worth mentioning when a DC film doesn’t feel this way than when it does.

Speaking of, the Shazam trailer doesn’t feel this way at all!

1 Like

Ohhhhhh. Reverse psychology.

I’m ONTO you Seamus. Or should I say “Sea-muse”…

5 Likes

I liked him better first when he was Namor, the Submariner.

4 Likes

OK, just watched that one. Pleasantly surprised to see that DC didn’t suck either the zaniness out of the premise or the color out of Shazam’s superhero costume.