Archaeologists reveal the white supremacist nonsense behind Netflix's "Ancient Apocalypse"

As it happens the current xkcd is about that. :slight_smile:

Paper title

18 Likes

Absolutely.

In any case, Galileo is usually trotted out as the archetypal example of the unfairly-silenced-by-the-establishment scientist, but the main cause of his problems was really political rather than scientific. Significant parts of the astronomy community, for example (including staff astronomers at the Vatican), unofficially agreed with him about important points like the sun being at the centre of the solar system, because they could recognise a sense-making idea when they saw one. It just wasn’t a great tactic at the time to expound loudly on such things where the Holy Inquisition could hear you, and you’d be wise to include a caveat along the lines of “… this is all idle speculation and of course we know that in reality the world works just as the Bible says”.

In Galileo’s case in particular it was especially imprudent on Galileo’s part to write a treatise about astronomy in the form of a dialogue where the doubtful character who needs everything explained to him in very great detail was called “Simplicio” (the simpleton) and could be construed as a stand-in for the Pope. The Pope naturally – no matter what he might privately have thought about Galileo and his ideas – did not approve of being made to appear like a fool in public, and that, rather than his theories about astronomy, was what got Galileo into trouble.

15 Likes

And without Van Danikan…do we get the Stargate franchise?

9 Likes

… or Battlestar Galactica :flying_saucer: :rocket: pew pew pew

8 Likes

I will take space Hebrews over moon Nazis any day!

8 Likes

Dude didn’t invent magic doors. Probably.

8 Likes

I was thinking more of the pyramids being docking stations for the Goa’uld Cheops class pyramid ships

11 Likes

Fair enough, bit daft, though, landing a space ship on a granary.

19 Likes

No dumber than making the volume of your spaceship mostly hollow and open to space so that works

10 Likes

Space hat, really :woman_shrugging:t3:

11 Likes

Space hat needs matching space pants

11 Likes

Dinklage space pants GIF by Digg

16 Likes

Beware of pyramids wearing hats

12 Likes

You had me at Joe Rogan. This sounds lovely le something well suited for the history channel or whoever is behind archeology blockbusters like “The mystery of oak island” where the only mystery is how they have milked it for 10 seasons.

11 Likes

Missing the sarcasm tag there, buddy?

11 Likes

“I don’t claim to be a trauma surgeon or a traffic accident investigator … [but] my suspicion is that this poor fellow lying bleeding in the middle of the road is suffering from horribly misaligned chakras.”

16 Likes

10 Likes

Next you’re going to tell me that the dolphin/shark similarities just make sense; rather than revealing the truth of the grey alien infiltration of the oceans. That’s crazy talk.

16 Likes

That’s a ridiculous statement without any backup, cetacean needed.

33 Likes

Oh gods, whenever I see one of these “not an archaeologist” talking about “advanced civilizations” it’s not just that they’re wrong, there’s also the issue that…

10 Likes