Are Pets Slaves?

The mold magically appears. I think elves put it there.

5 Likes

More importantly, why in the fridge? That’s like keeping ghee or catsup in the fridge. Heaven forfend!

2 Likes

Mold grows more slowly in the chilled environs.

2 Likes

Ahh, I see. We’ve uncovered your plan to slowly grow mold until…what? Zombie Bread!

10 Likes

How are you unsure, when your first paragraph explained this very thing? I most vociferously hate possessives in language, and resent that this language practically requires them. I only use your third instance: “shorthand for relational statuses that are held by almost nobody to include ownership”.

That’s what I was trying to illustrate in an above post:

Since “my friend the dog” has agency, it seems rather crude to refer to them as “the dog I own”. That was indeed my point.

1 Like

How do you feel about genitive case in Indo-European languages that still preserve a case structure?

I bet you could join a Conlang forum and create a perfect universal language for yourself!

2 Likes

Aside from limited territorial concessions for their barbarous ceremonies under the terms of the “Fairy Ring Accords”, I can assure you that fungi have no operational cooperation with elves.

3 Likes

Yes, but apart from referring to them as your friend, in what other way are they not ‘owned’ by you. You make all their decisions about what to feed them without their input. You force them to go on walks as despite having “agency” they’d crap all over your residence if not taken outside (whether or not they wanted to)

In other woids: what specific actions or behaviors do you take to allow your pets to have agency over their own lives?

5 Likes

yes, they are. slaves to my kisses.

(to be not so flippant, if you treat an animal as your property, you shouldn’t have an animal. but we have a mutual trade, i derive love and pleasure from them, and they live in an exciting, safe, healthy environment. if my dog ever asked me to let her go, i’d cry, but i would)

6 Likes

I think that it’s great that people like to discuss characteristics or attributes, but “possessing” them seems to favor conceptual relationships which I consider both vulgar and unrealistic. Speaking of “my height” represents a realistic attribute, but “my pencil” does not. It is merely a pencil I use, which has its individual attributes.

Are they free to leave you at any time?

1 Like

Was that an answer to my question because I don’t see one, if that was your intent?

And dolphins. I had a dolphin in my tub for a few days and his whistles were soooooooooo sad, you’d almost think he knew what we were eating that weekend.

2 Likes

These are my words. They are my slaves, my chattel property. You must give them back NOW.

2 Likes

I consider great apes as being people and think they should have the legal rights as such. It is much less clear with other animals.

I have friends who spent years working with Koko and signing with her. She’s pretty clearly a (slow) person.

3 Likes

But bread gets tougher in a cold, humid environment.

i derive love and pleasure from them

Especially dolphins.

1 Like

Yes, it was. Words do not “possess” other words either. Words describe relationships, and it seems evident that some kinds of relationships are more or less realistic than others.

So how do you feel about genitive case in the IE Languages that preserve case structure?

I asked my Border Collie and she laughed at how backwards I had the question.

7 Likes