Are you ready for four-color traffic lights?

Ditto. Red-green color blindness is not uncommon, especially among males. While I don’t have a problem discerning between red, yellow, or green traffic lights (as opposed to things like yellow versus green LEDs in electronics hardware), green traffic lights are nearly colorless to me. Telling the difference between a green traffic light and a white one (for some definition of white, D55?, D65?) would be difficult.

1 Like

As a cyclist who has never owned a car in her life, I hate this.

3 Likes

About 5% of men have the red-green version of colour vision deficiency to some degree, and a much smaller number of women.

I sometimes have a problem with red/green power lights on electronic devices.

Traffic lights contain filters to make them effective for people with CDV…

In the UK, traffic lights are always vertical, red-amber-green from the top, so the position of the lit light also is a clue.

5 Likes

A friend’s father was so colorblind that whenever he drove, her mom had to tell him when the lights changed. All three lights looked exactly the same to him, lit or unlit.

1 Like

Complete colour blindness, where you see everything in monochrome like black and white TV, is a real thing. It affects about 1/30,000 people according to Wikipedia.

3 Likes

white tail lights mean “I’m backing up. Don’t even think of following me.”

what could possibly go wrong.

2 Likes

In Italy the set of symbols for tramways is quite similar, but only a subset:

The bars have the same meaning, the up pointing triangle is the equivalent of the amber light (in Italian “giallo”, yellow, though it’s actually orange/amber).

I did not notice any special tramway semaphores in Stockholm, but I might have just missed those…

5 Likes

Having done lots of driving in the US North East, that “Red&Amber” phase would have very different effects in different states.

In NJ, everyone would start moving. If you were not already moving by the time the light was green you might get rear ended or horns blared at you. When the light turned green all the cars would already be moving.

In CT, there would be no impact at all and “Red&Amber” would be completely ignored. Nobody even moves when the light turns greet for a 2 or 3 beat. They’re all watching the cross traffic blow through the Red light first.

Mixing NJ and CT drivers is always “fun” until they get used to being in the new location and the changes.

The rest of New England is some variation on those two extremes. No two states the same and you have to learn which is which through experience. Hopefully not by rear ending someone who didn’t go in front of you or being t-boned because you went when the light turned green.

1 Like
7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.