Attorney General Jeff Sessions resigns at request of Donald Trump, forced out less than 24 hours after midterm elections

Yes, I’d heard that too. But I’m wondering if there’s something else he has up his sleeve. There have been basically no leaks from the investigation, a lot of what the press learned was from proceedings in open court or from legal documents Mueller filed that were available to the public-- things he couldn’t keep under wraps. Remember: Manafort cooperating kind of came out of nowhere, Trump was praising him right up until the moment he turned.

10 Likes

ADIOS GRANDE MOFO!

something something something down here

6 Likes

I found it difficult to like your comment because it is all too probably true.

To quote Stuart Lee, “People say, “Did you see Stewart Lee?” “Yeah.” “Was it funny?” “No, but I agreed the fuck out of it.””

7 Likes

Trump sure is subtle.

7 Likes

Wouldn’t the pro forma sessions have to have been setup already? They’re already in recess, so I don’t think they can start the pro forma sessions now.
Wtf do I know, though.

My understanding is that AG appointments require Senate approval - even for interim posts. Was Whitaker ever previously confirmed for his position at DOJ? If not, the rightful successor should be Rosenstein.

Of course, when did Trump ever care about rules?

8 Likes

Pam Bondi is working on her media career, but her part-time job as Attorney General of Florida will be going away in January.

3 Likes

Maybe the press at today’s press conference shouldn’t have brought up the Mueller investigation quite so much, while Trump was otherwise so nicely distracted by other matters.

4 Likes

CNN is rerunning an oped penned by the new acting AG:

http://lite.cnn.io/en/article/h_217c7b4bdbe4331ab69597f6cc181b94

As if to say: Pay attention!

5 Likes

From the Daily Beast: “Trump announced that Matthew G. Whitaker, Sessions’ chief of staff and a Mueller critic, would become acting attorney general with a permanent replacement to be nominated “at a later date.” That person must be confirmed by the Senate.”

“later date” my ass. He’ll stay as long trump wants him to stay. I’m betting that Mitch McTurtle will not interfere.

6 Likes
14 Likes

Four hours before he tweeted about Sessions, his only tweet:

He worried!

11 Likes

Here’s an interesting take from Slate written last year. I’m no expert on the Federal Vacancies Reform Act of 1998 but unless Whitaker was previously confirmed by the Senate for a “PAS” office - I don’t think he’s eligible to be Acting AG.

In other words, the president may direct anyone who holds a “PAS” office—one requiring presidential appointment and Senate confirmation—to serve as acting attorney general for 210 days (and potentially longer, depending upon when the president nominates someone to the position). And under the terms of the Federal Vacancies Reform Act, the individual does not even have to be serving in the Justice Department at the time he or she is tapped to be acting attorney general; this person would just have to hold a Senate-confirmed position.

Edit: sounds like there are lots of loopholes that allow Presidents to appoint just about anybody they want to “Acting” roles. But it also sounds like the rules dictate that acting appointees cannot then become permanent. He must nominate somebody else within a 210 day window who then has to go thru the confirmation process.

6 Likes

Hoping Kerry Eleveld is right here:

17 Likes

Here’s hoping. I suppose it was Trump’s firing of James Comey that got the Mueller investigation going in the first place, so maybe this could bite him in a similar way.

9 Likes

But was great on MST3K!

5 Likes
23 Likes

I dunno, everyday that goes by my expectation that anything legally will happen to Trump from the Mueller investigation goes down a little bit more.

1 Like

By refusing to obstruct justice, Sessions did the right thing for once. Doing the right thing will not be tolerated by this administration.

4 Likes

If Trump shuts it down, there will literally be nothing he can do if the new House just reopens the investigation.

Going to suck for a bit in the interim, suck like gout, but even if there are no sealed indictments in the queue already, I believe firing Sessions ultimately nets Trump nothing.

10 Likes