Authenticating a video showing hundreds of kneeling people in shackles and blindfolds on a Chinese railroad platform

They’ve had thousands of years under the Central Kingdom to both figure this out and train up generations of a populace to submit to this sort of authoritarianism.

Also, expect the Chinese government to mandate all drone manufacturers to watermark any video with serial numbers and launch locations, if they haven’t done so already.

It would be risky given how many people believe any video they see, no matter how obviously fake. It could perhaps be useful in convincing their own population as the government has more control over the information they have access to, but it would be at the price of having lots of people in the rest of the world who are already suspicious of China convinced its a hell hole.

2 Likes

It’s a remarkably easy trap to fall into in China. I’ve often been there for 1 or 2 week stretches of time where I only see Han Chinese (or people who can pass for Han). FYI: China is 90% Han. Seeing a Westerner can be startling. My amusing reaction is “Where’d that foreigner come from?” and a suspicious stare. Amusing and ironic because I’m a 6’2" Caucasian. Undoubtedly most Chinese have the same WTF moment when seeing foreigners like me (I’ve got lots of funny personal stories.)

For a time, one of the employees where I worked appeared to me to be Latin American. Turns out she was from the western part of China. Possibly Uigher? Don’t know. But certainly stuck out as very unusual in a group of several hundred Han (and me).

Anyway, both anecdotes taught me that who you associate with can very quickly shape your idea of “other” and “normal.” And that’s just a short jump to all sorts of effed up misbeliefs.

2 Likes

It’s for the same reason PETA activists have never tossed red paint on the leather jackets of the Hell’s Angels.

Getting away with Tiananmen and Tibet scot-free is, shall we say, enabling.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.