Authoritarians used to be scared of social media, now they rule it

I long for the days when the only place you’d hear about a 50 Cent party was in da club.

By your standards, it wouldn’t work if the mods were democratically elected, or randomly assigned, since they would always have an agenda.

The correct answer, of course, is that moderation won’t ever be a perfect solution. But that’s a far cry from “will never work”.

2 Likes

Problem social network-wise is Facebook. They have the numbers – nothing comes close – and their omnipotent algorithm force feeds vile shit to people and there’s nothing a user can do about it. It’s all in Facebook’s unaccountable control.
Fail to control Facebook and none of the other social networks matter.

1 Like

If you think the average voter will sit down and evaluate a list of potential social media moderators for fairness and objectivity, when the average voter cannot quite make it out to actually vote for POTUS, you are fooling yourself. It is not like 21st Century democracy has served us very well by installing high-minded selfless individuals whoose purpose is the betterment of humanity. The loudest, most well funded mods with a bit of carisma would always win an election. Call it moderation by Kardashian.

I’d rather have social media a sweaty mosh-pit of opinions without installing yet another layer of “legitimate” opinions shilling for their bosses.

Best science says we made it about 300,000 years as humans without Twitter/Facebook/Instafool. I am okay with that. I put down my torch and pitchfork decades ago - When the mob gets ugly, a tea kettle and a bit of critical thought seems to work better.

1 Like

Thesis, antithesis, synthesis.

Now I have an open source Distributed Hash Table. HO-HO-HO!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.