Autonomous bat bot weighs 93g, flies like a bat

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/02/02/autonomous-bat-bot-weighs-93g.html

3 Likes

Can it carry incendiary payloads?

10 Likes

I, for one, welcome our new, vampire-bot overlords!

4 Likes

more important: can a swarm of bat bots morph into a vampire bot?

7 Likes

And most of the components are stamped “Wayne Industries”.

Reclusive billionaire ex-playboy Bruce Wayne was unavailable for comment, but his representative stated “Wayne Industries is pleased to be able to share this leap forward in autonomous animal mimicry, and looks forward to seeing what innovations the research community will apply it to in the furthering of knowledge for all mankind. Please don’t sell any of them to Penguin or the Joker though.”

5 Likes

The “dive” would have been more impressive had it pulled out of it. In fact the device did not climb in any of the shots. But I want to know what’s its called, obviously “ornithopter” is not right. Chirothopter?

1 Like

What better tool for surveillance and warfare than to have weaponized drones that look like animals.

2 Likes

Although, I don’t know if a bat is the bet choice for slipping under the radar. We’re talking about an animal that already freaks people out, and inspires them to either run away shrieking, or to grab a broom or tennis racket…

2 Likes

I do admit that a bat may not be the best choice in terms of getting close enough to inflict carnage on a person. Something like a flock of evil pigeon drones on the other hand may be a problem and could fall under the radar.

2 Likes

I love bats. We have a bat house. I misread the title as 93 kg robotic bat and began shrieking in my head.

5 Likes

Dark Crystal, right?

3 Likes

:+1:

5 Likes

Can it run on human blood? What kind of bat doesn’t run on human blood?

1 Like

What is the airspeed of an incendiary payload carrying RoboBat?

2 Likes

2 Likes

Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am Batbot. I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January 2017. My instructor was Mr. Langley, and he taught me to sing a song. If you’d like to hear it I can sing it for you.

eeeEEEEEEEEeEeeEEEEEEEEEE!!!

5 Likes

Is this where they fly back to?

Do they have bats in their belfrey?

2 Likes

I could 3D print most of those parts and I recognized some of the other. Open Source, mofos!

The video on the other post had more details:

5 Likes

WWII tech. Nice. @Medievalist gets it.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.