Bankrupt Radio Shack will sell the customer data they promised to keep private

When the data was collected it was dependent on the agreement that the data would never be distributed. If Radio Shack then distributes the data, doesn’t this make its data collection fraudulent? And because the data was collected fraudulently and with deception, doesn’t this make any company that purchases the customer data party to the fraud, and therefore liable?

2 Likes

Morally bankrupt, am I right?

holds up high-fiving hand expectantly

3 Likes

You can still sue them. You can go to the bankruptcy court and argue they are contractually bound to destroy that information. Whether the court buys that argument and whether you have standing depends on the specifics, but bankruptcy isn’t a picnic where you get off scott-free.

3 Likes

Available on DVDon’t and This-Blew Ray Disc.

Not through my local library system. Also: our blu-ray player mysteriously only plays DVDs right now. And since new BluRay players only have HDMI cables, and we have a big fat tube TV that works just fine unless you want to move it across the room without a friend, we’re not going down that road until my wife starts making me sleep on the couch.

I hooked up the VCR last night, and it still works. Have to swap the batteries between the TV and VCR remotes until I come up with 2 more AAs, though.

It’s cool though. They did notify all of their customers that they were selling their data. Of course, they notified their customers via pager.

1 Like

Same thing happened with mine-- it started dropping audio on certain discs. A shame, because my old player could decode everything, and had ports galore. I ended up replacing it with a low end player that doesn’t actually decode all the channels of the high end audio codecs, and only has an HDMI out. My bluray collection is too large not to have a working player.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.