Before standing for the Democratic nomination in a NY congressional race, Patrick Ryan was in business spying on union organizers and left-wing activists

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/22/spook-entryism.html

6 Likes

He was so moved by the stuff he overheard, he converted?

7 Likes

https://www.thenation.com/article/strange-case-barrett-brown/

In November 2010, Hunton and Williams organized a number of private intelligence, technology development and security contractors—HBGary, plus Palantir Technologies, Berico Technologies and, according to Brown, a secretive corporation with the ominous name Endgame Systems—to form “Team Themis”—‘themis’ being a Greek word meaning “divine law.” Its main objective was to discredit critics of the Chamber of Commerce, like Chamber Watch, using such tactics as creating a “false document, perhaps highlighting periodical financial information,” giving it to a progressive group opposing the Chamber, and then subsequently exposing the document as a fake to “prove that US Chamber Watch cannot be trusted with information and/or tell the truth.” In addition, the group proposed creating a “fake insider persona” to infiltrate Chamber Watch. They would “create two fake insider personas, using one as leverage to discredit the other while confirming the legitimacy of the second.” The leaked e-mails showed that similar disinformation campaigns were being planned against WikiLeaks and Glenn Greenwald.

I know I’ve got those HBGary emails around somewhere…

18 Likes

So in other words, a Republican infiltrator.

14 Likes

Usually I’ll criticise anyone who draws a false equivalency between the two duopoly parties. In this particular case, though, might as well vote for the Republican as for him.

11 Likes

What’s the problem? It sounds like this guy was born for a life in politics!

3 Likes

Well, his political career is a non-starter. I wouldn’t vote for him but I wonder if he could win.

An aside- Barret Brown’s prison writings are absolutely excellent IMO

2 Likes

So according to https://ballotpedia.org/New_York%27s_19th_Congressional_District_election,_2018, Ryan has at this time 5 other Democrats to beat in the Primary before he would get on the ballot against the Republican incumbent John Faso. It also mentions that Pat Ryan is a former Army Intelligence officer with over $500k in his war chest, coming in third against his Democratic oppoents. Hopefully they will take him to task for his past as outlined here on BB. But the more interesting candidate in this race might be the Independent Diane Neal of the television show Law & Order: Special Victims Unit , who says she is “a little Libertarian, I’m a lot liberal, mostly progressive”…

The race is rated to be a Toss Up by three outlets (unspecified) by that website.

4 Likes

No. The entire Democratic party is pro-business. We just disagree on little details like taxation, regulation, corporate accountability,…

3 Likes

Ah - the Blue Dogs and Third Wayers - The Blue Dogs have gone from something like 55 members to 17.

Still you can always get tons of money as an undercover Republican. And you’re going to be way over represented on the talk shows.

4 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

Sounds like he is a Republican, but just running another undercover op… Hopefully he won’t be one of the choices for the actual election, and if he were, the independent candidate would still be an option.

In this case, yeah.

2 Likes

I don’t know if guys like Patrick Ryan or Peter Thiel really care about Republican/Democrat labels. They just want to grab for control.

Where’s that bozo with the delusional claim of inventing email plan to run?

5 Likes

Mainstream corporate Democratic candidate.

6 Likes

He’ll fit right in with the IDC.

DINO alert!

AKA “HillaryCrat”. Referring to Hillary & Co. as such, though, and factually criticizing them for the corporatism will get you banned from a lot of subreddits, FYI.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.