Ben Carson wants to raise rents on public housing tenants by 300%+, attacking elderly, people with disabilities and working poor

Right? I thought that from the first moment I heard him speak. No fucking way I’d let that dope near my head.

The center point of a Forstner bit is going to wander around in a 1/8" pilot hole and make a mess.

But then, I really don’t care, do u?

4 Likes

This. Huge swathes of public housing in my town were condemned, evacuated for the “safety” of the residents (who were promised they’d be rehoused if they survived the free market for 5-10 years in one of the most expensive housing bubbles on earth), & then quietly turned into condos when nobody was looking.

The artists & makers who survived Viet Nam, Nixon, Reagan, AIDS, CIA contra crack, & other wonders of late-stage capitalism are now living on Social Security in tiny rooms in “senior housing” downtown. They are the people who gave us Gay Pride, the tech revolution, bearded drag, freeganism, psychedelic art, & “Free To Be, You & Me.” Ben Carson, never the sharpest scalpel in the drawer, will be the blunt instrument that does them in.

9 Likes

Remember this?
https://thinkprogress.org/26-lawmakers-live-off-food-stamps-to-protest-republican-cuts-a42da27ec4af/
Of course, they were all Dems. You’re right, this at least should be required of all lawmakers.

2 Likes

shhhhh-let-him-operate

6 Likes

Oh, you silly kids… you’ve got to use the right equipment.
Seriously, getting proper tools is usually money well spent.

3 Likes

@vermes82

Rebuttal from the same source:

2 Likes

This is why “unemployment figures” have been a scam since the 80s. They don’t actually count the unemployed, only those collecting unemployment insurance. Every time that number goes down, you can almost guarantee it’s been 6 months since the last set of massive layoffs and terminations, and not because hundreds suddenly got new jobs.

9 Likes

We were musing yesterday about how many years my knees can take the stairs here, and how we can move to senior housing when that happens, because he’ll be a senior & I’m disabled. Well, between SNAP cuts and HUD increases, that plan is right out.

Collaborative or communal housing in some abandoned shopping mall seems to be our best bet for the future. We can pool our talents and tools, and reconfigure the May Co. into a medical wing, Higbee’s into a community center, and the Claire’s, Sharper Images and so forth can be dorm rooms. The food court will, of course, be the kitchens.

10 Likes

bobtato July 16

The real repellent part is where he’s all, “I’m giving you the positive message that you can simply choose not to be poor, isn’t that kind of me?”

That’s well said.

I think Carson’s comments align with the rags-to-riches personal mythology he has built for himself. I’m not masochistic enough to read his autobiography, but I remember him excerpting impossible to verify pieces of it during his campaign - how he attacked his mother with a hammer; how he tried to stab his friend Bob; how he bludgeoned a classmate with a lock. All of those violent scenes were related as teachable moments from a beneficent God, catastrophic character failures from which young Ben recoiled in horror instantly, and which propelled him along the path to Greatness. When scrutinized, those stories didn’t hold up well- no one remembered him attacking his mother, no one named Bob ever came forward to attest to a narrow escape from disembowelment. Most people remembered Carson as quiet and bookish. He didn’t really claw his way up from the mean streets, his family experienced some difficult periods, but the majority of Carson’s childhood and adolescence appears to have been solidly middle class.

But Carson apparently believes his fictionalized origin story and the redemption arc it traces, and that’s a huge problem for the people he’s supposed to be helping. He forgets, or ignores, or is constitutionally unable to see the advantages he enjoyed that allowed him to overcome the obstacles in his path. He has reified his fever dream of a ghetto gladiator pit escape, and uses it to blame the people still fighting in the arena for not getting out. It’s like watching the story of structural racism ab initio.

Edited for spelling.

3 Likes

Yea, I remember. Just making a joke - though not much is funny about these assholes… : |

Each state could raise property tax on single family homes over $1m and stick it to Ben Carson and his buddies.

If the federal government isn’t going to fulfill its obligations then states will have to step in. Unfortunately after a century of strong federalism we have many states with governments too incompetent to serve the basic needs of their residents.

Pricing people out homes means we’ll have more homeless people. Nobody likes to see homeless people, left-wing doesn’t like to see suffering, and right-wing doesn’t like to have our social problems to be so visible.

1 Like

Empathy isn’t necessarily a positive trait when you’re cutting into another person’s body to make repairs. When you’re running HUD, it’s definitely a positive trait.

2 Likes

My mother worked 2 jobs to give me a roof over my head and to feed me so I can make something out of my life. Which resulted in me being the first in my family generation to go to college, get a Masters Degree and become a professional in my field. She is retired, on a fixed income, and has been on section 8 for as long as I can remember, living in the suburbs of Chicago. So according be Ben, she should think more positive about her fixed income from her meager retirement and SS income and that will result in her not being retired and on a fixed income, and she will then get a great job, and become self-sufficient. WTF???

8 Likes

The unemployment numbers scam is deeper than that. They allowed for extensions in areas that had high levels of sustained unemployment, but left it up to state discretion. The led to places like Ohio extending the checks in rural, almost exclusively white areas, while presenting a nominally lower unemployment rate in less white areas. They get to both screw the minority population while claiming to have reduced unemployment in those areas showing the “success” of their methods.

4 Likes

The only neurosurgeon I want in charge of much is Buckaroo Banzai, also the only rock star and the only trans-dimensional physicist I would want in charge of much beyond (a neurosurgery, b a rock band, or c an F1-150)

5 Likes

In the mean time, people suffer.

What about Brian Cox?

3 Likes

Does he know Jeff Goldblum?

1 Like