Best mechanical pencil for drawing dungeon crawler maps

The lead protection isn’t quite as good as the del guard and orenz, but I would recommend also trying out a Kuru Toga pipe slide. It adds a mechanism that rotates the lead to keep it sharp, and is currently my go to pencil (mainly for notes). You can find them on Amazon or from online Japanese pen/pencil importers.

1 Like

I think @HMSGoose hit it on the head above: effort leads to engagement. It also gives a slight sense of immersion, in that you have this physical artifact for the game that you created through your own efforts. That’s powerful in a way.

(As an aside, I think that’s why DMs are often very engaged in a game, and then you end up with players who just like to set things on fire: the DMs spend a lot of effort to put something together, and players don’t. They don’t have much skin in the game.)

3 Likes

Mahaman has been invoked!

Holy cow, Mark, I kid you not: I went and tried to play this two weekends ago on my original disk and backup on an Apple //e, but the media had gone bad! Time to go looking for a cracked version…

1 Like

These specifically are for dungeon world, but I use index cards for maps:

2 Likes

Turns out it was more of a cylinder of lead than a tube. And it wasn’t even lead.

1 Like

I just want to know where I can pick up Wizardry, and an emulator to allow me to play it!

1 Like

Gawds I hated mapping in those early games. Especially ones with random teleport traps so you’;d end up who the hell knew where and to try to get stuff to connect up.

Arrghhhh.

The Dark Savant games were fun but had a serious flaw: You could lose a critical item (that you had no clue was critical at the time) needed to finish the game and have no way to recover it and lose an entire game.

1 Like

Try “Good Old Games”, they have tons of old DOS etc games that run just fine even on Windows 10. My wife and I still play a number of versions of Might & Magic.

(Note: i have no financial connection with them whatsoever.)

2 Likes

The springs in that pencil look gimmcky. My recommendation for a few more dollars is the Kuru Toga rotary clutch pencils. Fantastic performance. I use 0.7mm, so I can’t speak to the 0.5mm. I love mine.

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanical-Pencil-Roulette-Metallic-M510171P-43/dp/B004OHNTVC/ref=sr_1_4?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1517725596&sr=1-4&keywords=kuru+toga+mechanical+pencil

2 Likes

Any past use you may have had for a mechanical pencil is obsolete. The only thing left is drawing maps for RPGs.

2 Likes

It’s the weirdest attempt to shoehorn geek appeal into a random mundane item since the Headshot Energy Bar for Gamers.

1 Like

I love pencils with the Kuru Toga mechanism.

1 Like

Sure. I see your avatar, Poindexter.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.