Bike commuter super transformer bag full of stuff

Now you’re just being silly.

IIHS statistics on bicycle fatalities

A case control study of the effectiveness of bicycle safety helmets

She probably does stuff on the way to and from work or takes the bag on other trips. Changing out items to save a few ounces doesn’t make sense to me.

Yes. The speed of the bike isn’t the only factor here. People die from head injuries they sustain from falling over. Anybody that has cycled “seriously” for any length of time will have a “my helmet saved me from serious injury or death” story. I certainly have mine. Firmagrollia’s logic that the reason you shouldn’t wear a helmet is because scraped knees and sprained wrists competely escapes me.

Yes. The speed of the bike isn’t the only factor here. People die from head injuries they sustain from falling over. Anybody that has cycled “seriously” for any length of time will have a “my helmet saved me from serious injury or death” story. I certainly have mine. Firmagrollia’s logic that the reason you shouldn’t wear a helmet is because scraped knees and sprained wrists completely escapes me.

Gas station air hoses are just about the worst thing to use to inflate a bike tube–it’s really easy to overinflate and even explode a bike tube (something I learned as a kid). It’s much better to carry a couple of CO2 cartridges and an adapter if you don’t want to use a hand pump.

Perhaps. I’m going mostly by my experiences in Germany. The availability of gas stations may vary , I guess.

I’ve been cycling for 40 years.Not seriously, but as a major means of transport. As have my wife, my wife’s relatives and a couple of others. None have such a story.

However, I blacked out once because I got run over on an ice ring. Also, I know of someone of got a concussion because he took the stairs w/out using a helmet.

1 Like

I used to take pictures like that too, back before the novelty of what a bad-ass I thought I was had finished wearing off. I cringe at how crude my setup was five years ago, but here’s my prep for a ride/skate/ride on a hot summer day five years ago:

Spare tube not shown, but would have been in one of the big bags; small black/green toolbag bottom left contains CO2 cartridge.

They would seem a long way apart, even in Germany, if you had a flat tyre and had to push your bike to one, where you would use your solitary patch, and hope for the best.

There are actually bike helmet laws in a lot of the US. I’m pretty sure California is one of the places where bicyclists MUST wear a helmet.

Also, comparing the Netherlands to the US for traffic incidents is silly. In the Netherlands, bicycle riders have right of way. They have their own lanes all over the place. Drivers look out for bicyclists. The whole system is set up to be more bike friendly. That’s simply not the case anywhere in the US, even in super bike-friendly places like Portland, Oregon (which the Bay Area is NOT).

Ah yes helmet laws. very important. Saves lives according to the statistics.
Here’s a funny thought, how about traffic laws ? Or are those infringing on the rights of the right ?

Scratch that. I’m being insensitive.

722 people on bikes lost their lives in 2012 according to the aforementioned iihs statistics.
That is more than half of the total amount of road deaths in Australia http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Australia_by_year
Helmets are not the issue nor the answer.
Something bigger needs to be addressed.

Even though your gvt is spotty according to People I Listen To. You also passed very controversial gunlaws for its time. Your politicians (at least used to ) have cahones.

From april 1884 to december 1886 Thomas Stevens crossed the world on a penny-farthing ( first man to circle the world on a bicycle ; some 13500 miles, on the road of that time ), through America, Europe and Asia, from San Francisco (USA) to Yokohama (Japan).
His stuff : the clothes he was wearing, a pair of spare socks, a spare shirt, a raincoat and a pocket revolver.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.