Bill Willingham puts his entire Fables comic book property into public domain

Yeah. I’m not celebrating this right wing dipshit because his broken libertarian clock was right on IP law this time.

Though I guess this means people can make stories in this world that don’t line his coffers, and aren’t poisoned by his politics? I remember being very put off by the Telltale Games adaptation of his work, which seemed largely to treat women as corpses-in-waiting to animate the gritty male noir protagonist.

1 Like

Unsurprisingly, DC has responded with, basically, “Not so fast…”

However, DC hit back at Willingham’s gambit, saying that no, he can’t do that. The company’s statement affirmed that Fables and its characters, storylines, etc. are “owned by DC and protected under the copyright laws of the United States and throughout the world in accordance with applicable law […] DC DC reserves all rights and will take such action as DC deems necessary or appropriate to protect its intellectual property rights.”

So who knows where this is going. What he’s undeniably correct about, though, is that copyright law is a mess and you can’t really get two attorneys to agree on what anything actually means when it comes to copyright law.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.