Blockers will win the ad-blocking arms race

The posts are marked BoingBoing Store but as such yes ad blockers won’t stop that then again as they are standard posts that get put up by the staff you don’t have to worry about them hosting malware.
I don’t mind them as it is a fair trade off for ads and safe browsing and I do like it if they can pay the bills. I would say this is a much better way of doing it if more labor intensive.

Also the ad copy is a great source of amusement and making fun of it is a hobby for the more regular denizens of the BBS.

9 Likes

Kinda off-topic, but I’d like to learn why that is. I’ve seen it said many times before. But as a consumer, I see cheap ingredients (which must be cheaper at wholesale) being cooked and served by underpaid employees (less than minimum wage because of tipping exemptions). Beers being marked up to 10x retail price and served by bartenders who rely on tips. Sure they have overhead of rent and utilities, but so does any other business. So why are the margins so low when the costs are low and the prices high?

If you fuel up at a locally-owned gas station, and your engine gets corroded out by the additives in the fuel, it may not be their fault. Probably a QC error in their fuel suppliers. But once that has happened, you can’t really blame the customers for pumping their gas through a filter. And it’s not really the consumer’s fault if the gas station loses money because they structured their business such that they get paid based on how many (potentially corrosive) additives end up in people’s gas tanks. Bad situation for everyone involved, but it’s not uncool for consumers to protect themselves when they’re being actively harmed by the distributors.

I understand, and agree with wanting to support creators and editors, but if the only way to offer support is to allow yourself to be attacked by an unknown third party, that isn’t really reasonable. So far Patreon-style things seem to be the only model that is generally applicable (we can buy t-shirts and concert tickets to support a band, or buy art/books directly to support an artist/writer, but that doesn’t really apply to websites often enough to keep them running.)

A la carte finally exists but it kinda sucks. You’ve already paid for Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Amazon, etc., on top of your internet provider (close to a classic cable bill in total, if not more) but the show that you want isn’t streaming - however you can buy it a la carte for $2 per episode or $20 per season, so $160 to watch an 8-season series (on top of what you’re already paying for all the content-provider services). No individual part of that is really unreasonable, yet somehow it still ends up bad.

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: The sorrows of the US restaurant industry

We don’t seem to understand each other.

I am not talking about social media. I am not a big user myself.

I mainly use the web to:
-buy transportation (plane and train tickets,car rental)
-buy stuff I cannot find at retail (e.g: photo chemicals, but also intangible stuff like software, which is only distributed online nowadays)
-read the news, especially when traveling abroad
-and of course forums like this one.

I could cut the forums (but then we would not have the present conversation). I don’t have much choice for the rest:
-travel agencies are gone, so I can only buy tickets online
-I can rent a car in a physical shop, but it costs up to 4 times as much (really)
-stuff I can’t find at retail, I can only find online, by definition
-it is impossible to get foreign news unless on the web. OK: maybe I could get a short wave radio, been there done that 20 years ago and it was fun, but unreliable.

None of what I have cited can be done with javascript disabled. You may think otherwise, believe that free competition between, for example, travel companies will make one of them cater to the needs of travelers who do not want to activate javascript, that is simply not true. There is no competition on that particular feature and, therefore, no alternative.

So either don’t do disable js on those sites or don’t use them. As I said, it isn’t 2006. Js is an integral part of browsing now and the folks that turn it off are not a core demographic that anyone is going to cater too.

You’re complaining that no one offers what you want how you want it. I’m pointing out that you aren’t forced to use it and there aren’t enough people like you for anyone to want to cater to them. The js frameworks exist for a reason and do things that site creators and most uses want.

Time to join the year 2017.

I’ve noticed this exact same behavior, only on inactive tabs with boinboing. inactive tabs after a period try and load other content from outside of boingboing. seems to have gotten better in the last few months, it was really bad for a while. most people would never notice because they aren’t aware of what is happening on inactive tabs.

I actually appreciate and find vetted tested writeups very help when purchasing, i often purchase products from impassioned personal writeups about their merits. I wouldn’t mind even seeing more of that.

Especially ones where some legit research went into find the best X, rather then x company is paying for review of crappy x that would never sell otherwise. I’d much prefer this to StackSocial which just shill whichever headphone or vape of the day is overstocked as being “the best”.

I HATE the latest frontpage design, but i still check the grid view.
Boing Boing - A Directory of Mostly Wonderful Things - Boing Boing (which is the one i prefer)
That is the only way to make sure you aren’t missing all the articles with comments turned off.

agree. hence articles like the one above. also good to recognize when you are stepping into an online trap rather then a reciprocal discussion.

This. It is a lot more insidious then putting a product in front of your eyeballs which is bad enough, it is mining your personal information all with the intention of separating you from your hard earned money.

:+1:

NoScript, also allows you to selectively block and allow scripts, and remembers your choices. you can even temporarily allow a script.

i seem to recall from the halls of memory this thread several times. i believe, if i recall correctly that the next step is to point out that this doesn’t have to be an either/or, many places allow you to pay to make ads go away. :slight_smile:

Patreon is great for supporting small podcasts and the like.

3 Likes

one more thought…

In my opinion PUSH advertising is an invasive parasitic drain on society, the environment, and our life energy/resources. Forcing your product in front of peoples eyes is rude and abusive.

PULL advertising doesn’t suffer from the same issues. If i want a new lawnmower, I don’t mind perusing a directory of lawn mower adverts. but i don’t need to see lawnmower adverts ever unless i’m in the market. Same goes for every other f*cking thing on this planet. Stop trying to sell me random shit i don’t need or want. Stop trying to sell a false promise of happiness to separate me from my hard earned money and keep me locked on the capitalist treadmill.

I’d love to visit a site that had zero push ads rather instead had a curated catalog of product reviews that are personally recommended by the site owners/creators. I’d gladly shop for something i need or want to support a site.

btw. I already have like 6 sets of headphones, showing me headphone ads is just wasting everyone’s time and money and energy.

6 Likes

Bad news. This is the only part the advertisers paid attention to.

3 Likes

I am not complaining. You suggested people should disable javascript. I pointed out that it breaks most sites. Now we have this ridiculous exchange. Please jump up a few messages and reread what you wrote.

No, I didn’t. I know those sites won’t work with it disabled.

I simply pointed out that disabling Javascript or not is under their control. No one is making them run that script.

A bunch of Libre idiots bitch and whine about how Javascript ruins the net and why can’t we have the net we had 20 years ago of flat HTML pages and images… (leaving aside that this platonic ideal of web pages existed for less than a decade and more like five years). Yeah, no one but them really wants that net except for the part where it didn’t have massive advertising on all things. Those JS frameworks? They actually do useful things, which is why people add them to sites. They don’t add them just to “monetize” people. They add them because they add features that the developers want to use.

Here is an example of a completely usage JS framework just out to monetize you that could be replaced with a plain ol’ flat HTML web page, right?

https://docs.slatejs.org/

My biggest complaint with ads is when I open a site on my tablet, get two paragraphs into the article and then the ads start reloading/resizing/fucking-with-the-site and I have to scroll all around to find my spot and continue reading.

Especially annoying is the newer thing where again I start reading and the “click to continue reading” crap loads and obscures the last half of the paragraph I just read.

Is it me or is that just some kind of overlay on the full page that already loaded?

1 Like

Indeed you didn’t. Sorry for the confusion, we were actually saying more or less the same thing.

1 Like

developers are catering to

‘So I reeled in horror and recognition of my audience again today, then set up claims of endorsement from 1, 3, 6 and 17 doors either direction from their locations.’
‘I was pressure-washing the greywater tank this morning, only to get a notice from my SegFault clade that we could market to people moulded by bad experiences with a given produce. I had an immediate use for that.’
‘Concealed carry and insurance riders have been key to our ad profitability. I feel being a DBA is worth it now, even if I hear the exact opposite from group buyers.’

the browser makers are not going to personally offer [javascript deps/package management.]

I think Vivaldi managed to toss it into a (Chrome Store) plugin, having pondered it?

Andre Stmaur> …the majority of web sites did not work

A majority (…) have been working when their own hosts and …cdn or …imghost are permitted, even to the extent of facebook dev blogs rendering nicely with no facebook.com or .net loaded.
In the background NoScript does some script emulation so pages don’t choke without Google Analytics and other Google bits setting up namespaces…

Even better, NewAtlas.com just trebled their script host loadout (2nme and m80fg.com, which don’t resolve on their own?!) and now loads nicely before consistently blanking completely. Well, in WebKit they did. Atlas Solutions is a division of facebook, maybe they crossed wires lately.

4 Likes

And now, this:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/04/14/ad_blockers_identify_you_to_advertisers/

1 Like

Yeah its periodic , comes and goes. The chugging has happened in active tabs for me, though not the redirects. When I’ve seem similar behavior on other sites and reported it they peg it to ads. The annoying bit is in chrome it seems to choke up the whole browser. To stop it you have to kill all BB tabs and start over. When I can catch it in an active tab it seems to coincide with new ads loading up every couple of minutes and getting stuck.

2 Likes

Now? It is 2010 news.

Your unique browser configuration, including the width of your window, etc. can be sampled and used to identify you. See Panopticlick and other tools. This is ancient news. You can use things like Tor Browser that mask some (but not all) of this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.