Blood pressure medication can prevent heart attacks and strokes -- even in people with normal blood pressure.

I’ve had my ups and downs with BP. Last year l faced a hernia surgery and had to address a high BP issue. I told the RN I always had stress issues with the downtown drive to the hospital. She said my BP was too high to have the surgery. It was either meds or reschedule.

I was parked ten blocks from hospital. Called for quickest appointment while walking to my truck. Halfway down, I got a turn around appointment. Got in and my BP was normal. Still got the prescription.

Four days later, went in for pre-surgery appt. BP was too low.

Yes, I quit the RX prior to the surgery. All had been good. I will admit, though, going on a whisky bing the week before a physical will never help your greater cause. Like, you know? Well, that was the week leading into Team USA Women’s National Team World Cup victory. And it was worth it!

So, like, WTF, over? I prefer to cook meals from fresh scratch when at home and not having to eat my work’s institutional food. If the food makes you feel satisfied with less and not squirrelly, you’re probably doing it right.

There are natural ways to regulate your BP in the face of “short-term“ stress factors. If your normal lifestyle patterns shouldn’t normally cause BP issues, try the calming method of plugging your right nostril and slow inhaling and then slower exhaling. The exhale should be much longer than the inhale. Preferably the exhale should be about ten seconds. At the least, both should take the full ten seconds. Meanwhile, visualize a very happy place you’ve been before.

In the short term, this will help you pass your BP hurtle. In the long term, it might help you stay chill. Lord knows we be be filled with too many reasons to be stressed!

The post heart attack drugs make me feel a bit shitty all of the time. One BP drug would knock me on my ass after exercise, so that was replaced with something else.

Then came the Covid and the early indicators that ACE inhibitor drugs set one up for certain death. Seems that hasn’t bourne out, but sure was scary for a while.

Edit for brevity

1 Like

Not being one that is too eager to comment, I feel like I cannot let this one be. I’m a biomedical scientist, who just happeded to flatline with a massive myocardial infarction earlier this year despite not having elevated blood pressure. The doctors put me on all the usual meds anyway, the effect being that I passed out and hit my head less than two weeks after being released from the hospital - so, right back in…

This article seems to be the typical case of the “scientific publication cycle”, which was so accurately satirized by PhD comics (including the “dingding” page) a while back.

The original link goes to a press release of an upcoming meeting presentation not a publication, not even a preprint. This means that there is null, zero, nada verifiable information on this study in the public domain at the moment! So the hype machine has already started before anything is published. But even from the scant information in the press release it is clear that the vast majority of patient in the study, i.e. 6 of 7 groups, did start with elevated blood pressure. grrr!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.