Boing Boing is 20 (or 33) years old today

Here’s to 20 (or 33) more!

10 Likes

Happy Birthday! It’s my favorite place on the web too. I’m rarely disappointed… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

7 Likes

mint chocolate cake, yum!

9 Likes

Good God! If you’ve been online for twenty years, hold old does that make me?!

9 Likes

Happy Birthday, mah BB. I am making chocolate chip oatmeal cookies to celebrate.

7 Likes

I still have a couple issues of the print zine floating around my bookshelves. (Yes, that’s right, I’m a Boingboing hipster.) I recollect buying them at Tower Records. At the time who could have guessed that Boingboing, a scrappy zine that described itself as a “swap meet for do-it-yourself cyborgs.”* would be around in 2020 but not Tower Records.

*I can’t tell you how disappointed I am that it’s 2020 and Boingboing is not actually a swap meet for DIY cyborgs. Disappointed in 2020, rather than Boingboing, that is.

20 Likes

17 Likes

I am not sure when I started reading BoingBoing, I moved from San Diego to the deep deep countryside of Minnesota in 2001 at the age of 15. I had to get back on the internet and read BoingBoing, it was my connection to California. I really wish I could remember how I 1st discovered your site. Thank you for writing it all the these years. I am 34 years old today :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Happy Birthday! I can’t remember when I first read BoingBoing, but I think it was HardWiredHotwired that pointed me to you guys. Or was it Usenet? Or the Steve Jackson Games Pyramid forums? Whatever it was, there were fnords involved. :small_red_triangle:

18 Likes

Happy bOINGday, Mark!

I wasn’t here back in the print days (I turned up around 2003-ish when firefox made you guys an auto-bookmark), so it’s great to hear this little retrospective.

Thanks to all the people whose writing I have enjoyed over the years in this place. I’ll raise a glass to all those who have made this little corner of the internet a nice place to hang out in.

Cheers to Mark and Carla for starting off this whole circus.
Cheers to Cory, Pesco, Xeni and Rob for your entertaining posts over the years.
Cheers to the guestbloggers too numerous to mention.
Cheers to @orenwolf and @codinghorror for all their hard work keeping the bbs running
Cheers to the friends who are no longer with us, such as Maggie and Falcor and…
And finally, cheers to all those of you bbs denizens who I am pleased to call my internet friends. It’s been weird and that’s a good thing.

Slàinte!

36 Likes

I’d love, someday, to hear the story of Offworld and Joel Johnson’s journey with BB.

6 Likes

My involvement “only” starts from Halloween 2003, but starts by rescuing the blog from their prior hosting provider by literally running my personal server down to a datacenter and loading BB onto it. a P233MMX :wink:

The infrastructure is a little more complicated and resilient now, but I feel the same pride in keeping the lights on for this fine crew of Happy Mutants as I did back then.

Here’s to many more years of Boing Boing!

39 Likes

What a truly wonderful anniversary - either way!

10 Likes

Way to go Mark and Co.! You made something to last. And it’s wonderful.

That is not exactly commonplace. :heart_eyes: :star_struck: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :partying_face:

15 Likes

I think it was 1995.

12 Likes

Been enjoying your stories and appealing oddities since the early 2000s.

Though I don’t recall ever seeing a story detailing the provenance of the name. How did the name of BB come into being?

11 Likes

Happy Birthday!

Was interesting to read the time line. I have a clear memory of reading BB in my university CIS lab. But that would have been '95-'98. So a false memory. I remember when the comments were below each post (and recall being cranky when they moved here).

12 Likes

Still have a couple hard copies of the magazine. You guys have been a source of fantastic weirdness for me most of my adult life.

Thank you for all your efforts over the years. You’ve made a lot of weirdos feel a lot less lonely, including me.

11 Likes

I’ve probably been reading BoingBoing since at least 2008. Here’s to more years!

12 Likes

Happy Birthday BB!!

7 Likes