Borderlands Books will stay open, thanks to cash from supporters

And if you earn more money, maybe you can afford to buy more books.

Hmm, still lacks a certain something… ah, I’ve got it.

Borderlands Books survives tech-boom rent increase by selling libertarian dogma to local idiots

They actually stuck around for quite a while in the video/graphic design/audio business. Though they sort of disappeared all at once when thumb drives and external hd’s with bigger capacities got cheap enough. Minidisc also stuck around for an absurdly long time in that business. I was still seeing the odd bit of minidisc recorded audio in video work around 2010. And I still know some musicians and audio engineers who refuse to give up their mixing boards with integrated Minidisc recorders. For a long time there it was the affordable alternative to DAT.

1 Like

When Amazon starts delivering live acting troupes to people’s door, then you’d have an analogous situation. Until then, not so much.

2 Likes

maybe all businesses affected by minimum wage laws should go to the membership model. I’m a member of Amazon Prime. Maybe Walmart could start a club.

Um, no, it’s a movie theater.

It’s almost funny now to think of how many libraries invested a lot in CD-ROMs because those were the way of the future. A few years after that I’d listen to a talk by a library director about how the internet would solve all library problems. Space would no longer be an issue because everything would be online and there’d be no need for physical libraries anymore. And spending could also be cut significantly because instead of buying a whole book and letting it languish on a shelf academic libraries could just buy a sentence or two, because that’s all researchers really need. The kicker was “All this could happen in as little as ten years.”

That was 1998.

2 Likes

I remember that crap, when the future of everything was going to be interactivity. No! I don’t want to “interact” with the novel I’m reading!

4 Likes

Memberships. This is an interesting idea for a small store. It also reminds me of “wholesale-club” style memberships – paying to save at Costco, Sam’s, BJ’s, etc. (Full Discloure: my family has a BJ’s membership, and I still snicker at the name).

Just because there’s an affiliate link doesn’t mean you have to buy it.

I use my Amazon wish-list to guide my interlibrary loan requests, in-person browsing, and gift-suggestions for others.

If people are so dumb and rich that they buy everything that is linked to on here… well, that’s their loss*, and BB’s micro-payment gain.

But, really, please stop already. You’ve beat this dead horse into a foul-smelling jam, and it doesn’t look like you’re getting ready to eat it anytime soon.

* Is it a net loss? Since they’re getting a nice book/cool tool/weird gadget/something you don’t approve of but they knee-jerkedly do.

The invention of writing killed the wide-spread use of the memory palace. I don’t see you complaining, like ancient greeks (or egyptians) , about that.

cf. Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media:

There was reluctance and opposition [to radio] from the world of the press. To those, this fact is quite as baffling as literacy is to natives, who say, “Why do you write? Can’t you remember?”

NB: A history of media technology scares

1 Like

They could call it Sam’s Club.

4 Likes

Ah, the phrase you were looking for is “art house theater”. “Art theater” isn’t really a thing.

[quote=“art_carnage, post:52, topic:52307”]
“Art theater” isn’t really a thing.
[/quote] Don’t tell the folks in Long Beach:

Art Theatre of Long Beach

Nor the folks in Champaign:

The Art Theater Co-op

That’s the NAME of the art house theater. You do get the difference, right?

1 Like

As somebody who’s done his share of research, that’s terrifying.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.