Building a wattle-and-daub hut with your bare hands

HTML Tagging. (be sure to remove the first space after each “<”)

The markup looks like this:

< a href=“whatever.com”>Link Text Here< /a>

Thanks for <a href=http://bbs.boingboing.net/t/building-a-wattle-and-daub-hut-with-your-bare-hands/60368/21">that, I looked at ‘inspect element’ hoping I could reverse engineer it but no luck.

1 Like

It’s basic HTML. The simple tags are allowed here: a, ul, ol, b, s, i, sup, sub, pre, img

Mostly just the formatting tags, but they’re useful. Here’s a good resource and cheatsheet for HTML markup

In a past life, I was a web designer. There’s not much of a future for that particular skill. I think at the very least HTML and JavaScript or Python should be taught in grade school as part of the basic skill set everyone should have. Otherwise the internet’s guts look like gobbledygook, and people won’t be able to as effectively and basically express themselves on the web.

1 Like

Thanks again. I took a computer science class that turned out to be mostly C++ programming, not what I was expecting, but I liked it and it has been useful. I worked with CSS and HTML a very little bit, enough to know I at least need to know more about HTML. I’ll definitely check out the link and do a little practice.

Oh, and the hut building was cool, I don’t live where I can do that now, makes me want to play some minecraft/terraria/ark though.

1 Like

I was a huge fan of the first incarnation of RUST. It had so much potential to flesh out into a really fun game. But it’s ultimate demise was awful netcode and a security model that depended on adversaries never gaining access to the server binaries. So it was doomed to be overrun by scriptkiddies and general cheaters from the beginning.

These days I’m more into KSP and watching Battle Royale (an ARMA3 Mod) on twitch.tv

I’d heard of RUST, it looks pretty cool, and I rarely play online, so no worries about cheating. KSP was on sale on steam recently, I should have gotten it. (Thanks again for the link < abbr> is all I’ll have time for tonight.)

1 Like

Or highlight the word you want to link, then click on the picture of the little chain (just above where you type).
This’ll give you a place to paste an address for a link.

2 Likes

So basically these homes are giant baskets. Gotcha.

1 Like

In one of the other videos he makes a palm leaf hut and does exactly this. He then plants vegetables in the ridge of soil created, which will be watered by the roof-shed rainwater.

Ultimately its all about boxes (vessels) to keep the within from the without or vice versa…

Pizza: :heavy_multiplication_x:
Hut: :heavy_check_mark:

1 Like

have to think that there is a government entity somewhere that claims jurisdiction and wants to sell him a building permit.

Good call - I’ve been using my red and yellow twig dogwoods for streambank reforestation, so I’ve never let them get that big before I cut them for live stakes. In another four or five years, though, I’ll be done nailing down the streambank and then I should have lots of red twig wands to work with!

Well that is fun, because I’ve been doing something similar in my backyard where a drainage easement which was supposed to be left natural was bulldozed and sodded, but most of the time it was just mud. In order to get more privacy and restore the area, I got a very coarse variety of the red twig dogwood. I staked down an ash log and backfilled dirt to raise the ground level and create a well defined edge. The dogwoods quickly went under the log and resurfaced in the easement where they started catching leaves. The plants mulched themselves and the runoff started creating little meanders and potholes that looked natural rather than just eroded, and the roots sieved out the rocks so suddenly there was a bit of a gravel stream bed. I’ve extended it just by letting the stems get tall and then bending them to the ground where they root.

Also in the mix is an elderberry, which I am going to dig up up and divide for planting down the easement. It spreads freely in the mucky soil.

I also have a deciduous holly (Sparkleberry) that likes those boggy conditions, but it is really getting crowded out. I was looking at satellit photos of a canoe trail in NC, and the pictures taken in winter showed pink blotches. It turned they were Ilex, which were visible from space.

The nice thing about all these plants is that they have berries that bird love. Consider also the countless varieties of Vibernum and the colorful beautyberry, which are also bird food.

1 Like

I’m using elderberries too! I have to protect them from the deer until they get pretty big, though. The deer will stay off the dogwoods as long as I pee near them fairly regularly, but that doesn’t seem to work on the elderberries or the viburnums.

I also have been planting serviceberries, which birds also love, but they don’t spread as rapidly.

Clethra and Itea are also good native plants if there is room for a lower growing shrub, and pollinators love them. Don’t even get me started on the Amelanchier (shadberry/june berry/saskatoon)because I spent about $100 on those, including an Amelanchier grandiflora that I thought was going to be the centerpiece of the backyard. But it turns out zone 8 in this region has apple rust fungus that stunts their growth and turns the fruit into spiky orange balls just 48 hours before they are ripe. That is despite a coastal variety of shadberry that must be disease resistant. Clearly there needs to be cross breeding to get the disease resistance of the southern coastal varieties into the common Saskatoon types. I also had bad luck trying to buy a bottlebrush buckeye (they sold me a red buckeye), but I found one growing near a friends house, and we stole some suckers. I have a half dozen pawpaw trees that have a lot of fruit this year. I sprout their seeds and after 18 months sell each one for $10 on craigslist. Another nice tree is the red sumac .

1 Like

Cory may joke but I think that’d make a fantastic series. We need an island or patch of land with suitable resources above and below ground, and a… what 25 year plan to move through the stone, bronze and iron ages, then build mechanical computers… how far could you take it in a reasonably short time? Like, less than 50 years?

I’m guessing basic telephony and radio technology wouldn’t be too difficult… on an order of difficulty ranging from crazy to ludicrous. Ludicrously cool.

2 Likes

I listened to an EscapePod episode kinda like that, the story is titled “Pirate Solutions”

Linkylink for ya: http://escapepod.org/2009/11/26/ep226-pirate-solutions/

1 Like

There was a BBC TV series called Rough Science that did some stuff like that.

1 Like

I took care of the apple rust by knocking out all the alternate hosts in the woods surrounding me. No juniper or eastern red cedar, no major rust. I still get a little bit, but I pluck the affected bits off and burn them.

Those species were controlled by fire until the white man came, so the rust can get really out of control in modern settings where all forest fires are prevented.