By sheer dumb luck, an intersection where cyclists and cars can't see each other until seconds before they collide

:grimacing:

We’re trying to avoid high impacts here. :joy:

3 Likes

8 Likes

My dad swears by that trick but try as I might I just can’t get used to it. I find it disorienting. If I can’t see a tiny sliver of car in the side mirrors it’s hard for me to get my bearings and tell what I’m looking at.

1 Like
  1. Thick A pillars are required becasue drivers keep crashing into things.
  2. With improved engineering and manufacturing efficiency in cars, we chose to have more size, luxury and power, rather than lower costs.
  3. We also chose increased engineering safety, but we have traded that for increased speed and reduced attention to driving.
3 Likes

this often happens with babes walking on the sidewalk and streetpoles… their speed is perfectly aligned with the pole going past so you dont get to ogle them

1 Like

A telestereoscope could help with seeing around the A pillars.

4 Likes

yea imagine how safe the roads would be if everyone had one of those contraptions

1 Like

I must have one. Does it work with Slake Moths?

2 Likes

car_carousel_playtime_tati

5 Likes

I have a better solution. I present the car of the future. No A pillars to get in the way of your vision here. No reverse gear either, and little chance of getting caught speeding too.

6 Likes
2 Likes

On the freeway I usually watch the car I can see pass though before going into the lane to make sure the lane is clear.

2 Likes

Had a similar thing with a cyclist. His speed as I was turning matched exactly and hid him precisely behind the front pillar of my seven-seater (these seem to have a lot thicker pillars than a normal car). Fortunately, I saw him at the last minute and no harm done but it was certainly a tad spooky…

I have always had this exact problem in pretty much any car I’ve had. It makes me realize how much we rely on peripheral vision to tell us if there is anything worth checking out in a particular direction. Especially at intersections where 90% of the time there isn’t another car, I end up starting to go out of turn at 4 way stops way too many times. On my list of things I know I’ll never get around to, I’ve always wanted to figure out how to move the mirror mount.

Ah, it’s in the New Forest. I’d attribute any accidents to pony watching rather than design of the junction…

It’s sooooo cute!

1 Like

I usually try to change lanes slowly as a rule to make sure that if i do have someone in my blind spot they’ll see me and honk at me to let me know they’re there. Rarely happens that there is indeed someone there but its helped me a few times avoid an accident.

self-centered american here. would this type of intersection have the same effect if cars drove on the right side of the road and the driver sat on the left?

What is that? Is it actually forest-related, or just the name of a development area?