🍰 Let Us Eat CAKE 🍰

The mere thought of fondant touching my tongue makes me shudder, but that is one magnificent creation!

9 Likes

Many of the images in this post are more pleasant to look at than they would be to eat.

:slight_smile:

9 Likes

``

``

6 Likes

Buttercream. I checked.

11 Likes

Many, not all.

­

5 Likes

7 Likes

7 Likes

``

7 Likes

7 Likes

I actually wouldn’t touch that last one; I can practically taste the Red40 from here.

But it is gorgeous work, though.

``

5 Likes

Will hack for mooncakes

11 Likes

6 Likes

Had to go up to Andersenville on the north side yesterday. Historically it’s the Swedish section of town, although now it’s a fascinating 50/50 blend of old Swedish stalwarts and new Middle Eastern ma-and-pa stores. One requirement when visiting there is to go to the Swedish Bakery. Yes, requirement! They are particularly known for their cakes. Here is their current storefront:

In the 3rd photo, you’re seeing our baseball obsession. We have two teams: north side, and south side. Our street sweeper trucks are often painted with local color, so down here they look like this:

And on the north side they’re stuck with their losing team:

The second (middle) photo shows other aspects of the city, such as our football team (Da Bearsss), the CTA map of the Loop part of our “El” system, and the city skyline and flag.

The first photo is chock-full: Navy Pier plus the Ferris Wheel next door; our lakefront with various ferries, cruises, sailboats, etc.; the ivy representing Wrigley Field (where that losing team goes to lose); postcards on the cake in back with Wrigley’s iconic sign, Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park, and a common generic “Welcome to Chicago” card; and of course some of the food and drink, such as a Chicago-style hotdog (NO DAMN KETCHUP!), Garrett’s Chicago-style popcorn (half caramel and half cheese
try it, it’s addictive!), real pizza, beer in a glass stein (lots of Germans and Czechs here), and last but not least, yes, that is a Jeppson’s Malört bottle you see in back!

Whew, it’s good to be back on the internet again!

8 Likes

Well, I suppose historically speaking you’d be correct, but I know who’s got the best record in the majors this year

2 Likes

So far
just like every other year. As soon as it starts to get real, they choke.

3 Likes

A friend from Taiwan sent us some of these in time for the Autumn Festival. The ones in your photo are green tea (on the left) and sesame flavour (on the right). If they’re not labelled or you can’t read Chinese, you have no idea what the contents could be (sweet or savoury). Some are really good, others are a bit odd. The traditional filling is lotus seed paste, sometimes with salted duck egg yolk.

9 Likes

Library Cake:

13 Likes

The cake is a library

(oh, I see I got ninja-d in a different thread).

8 Likes

Does that make GlaDOS a librarian?

3 Likes

9 Likes