Can Everipedia remake collaborative encyclopedias to be inclusive and enjoyable?

Like this?
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Franklin-D-Roosevelt/109547879071646?ref=br_rs

Wikipedia chose to do Creative Commons. All of its authors are fully aware that their content will be used by others. I have 0 guilt in this regard.

I will take your word for it, I guess. Do you have any personal experience with this? The only profit motive for advertisers that we encountered is getting more page views.

That should be taken as a joke. We are not ashamed that we are trying to make money. Google is already approaching a monopoly in the search sphere and controlling search suggestions, etc. If we get a bad reputation, we will lose users and $$$, so it is in our interest to stay honest.

1 Like
  1. Does that include your posts here on the BBS? Or heck, every time BB links to an article, post, or video by others?

2. Of course they do, because MONEY does - that’s why the Wikimedia foundation has a policy of not accepting large-dollar donations from anyone - to avoid any undue influence (which reminds me, go donate!). But thankfully, Wikipedia’s existence means that even if goes ahead and threatens to pull ads, resuliting in a site not writing unfavourable posts about them, there are other venues that will - That’s the point you seem to be missing, just like Wikia and Wikipedia can coexist today, multiple sources of information, funded via multiple means is vital for information freedom - The Wikimedia Foundation doesn’t want to be the sole arbiter of the contents of Wikipedia, that’s why Forking is encouraged.

3. MUHAHAHAH BOING BOING POWER!

2 Likes

I wrote this because I remembered reading about unsolicited redesign of Wikipedia visual style, done by would be UI designers. One of the routine rookie mistakes they pointed out was redesigning a logo with using one prominent Latin letter. This was a big no no in Wikipedia’s internal convention.

Just having good intentions is often not enough. You need to really understand the problem you are addressing and have a toolset to fix it.

Sort of, but keep in mind that duplicate pages don’t rank well on SEO. We noindex the wikipedia scrapes as well. Most of our traffic is from unique pages that link to Wikipedia pages as supplementary (e.g. the blue links).

1 Like

Did you read our terms page? You are not the first to point this out
https://www.everipedia.com/terms/

Except as expressly authorized by Everipedia in writing, you agree not to modify, copy, frame, scrape, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based on the Service or the Everipedia Content, in whole or in part, except that the foregoing does not apply to your own User Content (as defined above) that you legally upload to the Service or content that was directly imported to the Service from Wikipedia.org and other Wikimedia Foundation projects (Creative Commons Attribution-Share-Alike License 3.0 or later). In connection with your use of the Service you shall not engage in or use any data mining, robots, scraping or similar data gathering or extraction methods. Any use of the Service or the Everipedia Content other than as specifically authorized herein is strictly prohibited. As between you and Everipedia, the technology and software underlying the Service or distributed in connection therewith is the exclusive property of Everipedia, our affiliates and our partners (the “Software”). You agree not to copy, modify, create a derivative work of, reverse engineer, reverse assemble or otherwise attempt to discover any source code, sell, assign, sublicense, or otherwise transfer any right in the Software. Any rights not expressly granted herein are reserved by Everipedia.

3 Likes

English is the dominant language on Earth. However, we will eventually be adding other language. Also, we imported some of the Wikidata, which will allow for auto-generated pages (at least the infobox portion) in many languages since these are language-invariant key:value pairs.

1 Like

Ahaha no, that would be Mandarin Chinese.

3 Likes

Ok but then why bother having the duplicate content scraped from Wikipedia, slathered in ads? What’s the point?

1 Like

Go to another one of our unique pages, like this one

Some of the blue links are Wikipedia scrapes. They pop up as you hover over them, or on mobile, if you click. Traditional news pages don’t have anything like this, other than pure outbound links. For instance, in the infobox on the right, there is Cal Poly Pomona. If you didnt know where that was, you would have to google it. Here, you can just click or hover. Less interruption.

The ads on these pages are to make a profit, yes. Not going to hide that. However, as I stated above, they serve another purpose.

1 Like

In pure numbers, yes. But in science and everything else, English is. If I were a Chinese person (that spoke English as a second language) in Iran, i would have a higher chance of finding an English speaker than another Mandarin one.

1 Like

Haters going to hate! Keep going Everipedia!

1 Like

But your scrape will be increasingly out of date.

Here’s the edit history of the Cal Poly Pomona wikipedia page. Your page has one edit in 11 months. Wikipedia’s page has dozens.

2 Likes

I tried talking to you about this on Twitter, to no avail. Why are you being a hater? The developers who built Everipedia were inspired by Stack Overflow to do this. Obviously it is a young project with very little funding, so it is imperfect and we have to run ads - but why not try to learn more about it rather than being mean? You were saying yourself (above) that Wikipedia ought to be disrupted… wtf dogg?

1 Like

Not having ads is the entire point of Wikipedia – it’s non-commercial, explicitly a non-profit, and thus can be trusted to a degree that for-profit companies cannot.

Also, at Stack Overflow, people who copied our creative commons content and then slathered a bunch of ads all over it were a huge problem. There was no “remixing” or “reuse”, it was simply “duplicate with ads”.

If you’ve missed these points, then I think you’ve missed everything.

6 Likes

True. The same code used to scrape it initially is being adapted for real time updates. We are moving to Azure from AWS at the moment and hope to have it soon.

One point to be made is that many pages wont change significantly over the course of months, such as scientific elements, historical people and buildings, etc.

1 Like

As I alluded to before, most of our traffic is to unique pages. The wikipedia scrapes are mainly used as supplementary material. We will probably never beat Wikipedia for pages like George Washington, Los Angeles, etc, and never plan to, but Wikipedia has a huge market share with little competition.

Also, are you using a Mac to type this? Apple is for profit – I wouldn’t trust it.

You guys are actively arguing in a really strange, aggressive way with people giving you feedback. This is a bad sign.

7 Likes

In pure numbers, Mandarin beats out English two to one in native speakers. Counting second language speakers, Mandarin still wins.

3 Likes

When i worked in a proteomics lab that was full of Asian graduate students, everyone spoke English. English is the language of science, international business, and high society man, cmon.

The second part of your statement is correct, but the first part is not. The entire point of Wikipedia is to collect the sum knowledge of the planet and have it freely available to everyone. The no ads policy is a decision by the Wikimedia Foundation in part to ensure that there’s no undue influence, but that’s certainly not the point of Wikipedia itself.

Wikimedia Expressly requests republishing and mirroring, and provides data dumps for this purpose. They do not want to be the sole gatekeepers of this information! They are instead trying to be the most free from influence. This is an incredibly important mission, but the larger mission, to collect the worlds knowledge and make it available, is the true mission of Wikipedia, and projects that both attempt to mirror Wikipedia and extend that content, especially ones that include pages deemed “not notable enough” by the Wikipedia editors, should be encouraged wherever possible to help diversify and strengthen that mission.

2 Likes