Can you figure out what number comes next?

Okay, I lost interest in the video when the answer to the first problem wasn’t based on mathematics, but was about how you wrote your numbers. That’s arbitrary and dumb.

“Oh, I write my 4s with an enclosed area, so my answer is different.” ugh. maybe the video gets better, but I turned it off at that point.

2 Likes

It’s a game of riddles, not math. Or, if you will, lateral thinking.

I recall an anecdote from one of the books about this stuff I used to read, where someone was given a series of numbers with no obvious connection and then asked to supply the connection. Turned out, it was the train numbers they used to get to work that day.

I thought that was pretty funny, in a book about math.

2 Likes

Whatever the number, it has to end in four?

4 Likes

Yeah, I guess it comes down to how the problem is framed. I think, if the problem is presented entirely in numbers, then it’s reasonable to assume that it’s a math problem. But I understand how other people could come to other reasonable assumptions. But, still, I think “numbers = math problem” is reasonable, to me; and I stand by my annoyance when that assumption is incorrect (see: sudoku).

I’ve always found it unsettling that
exp( i * pi ) = -1.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.