Can you solve the seemingly impossible number of girls puzzle?

It should be given as Miss O in both cases. The second name was a miscue.

6 Likes

Puns!

3 Likes

Pause this video if would like to give this problem a try.

I would not.

Problems like that is why I failed high school algebra. Well that and the fact I was high or drunk at 10am and the algebra teacher was the basketball coach who really didn’t care if we learned it or not.

I did enjoy the video though, I could have used that guy as a teacher.

And in fact in this case the solution of interest is the whole number one, not merely an integer one

you could also add

if mod((B + G), 3) = 0:

before the print

2 Likes

Not uniquely solvable, for suitably dissected children…

The other assumption is that all numbers are natural numbers (possibly plus zero). Integers can be negative, but a count of physical children can’t (unless Calvin has bunked off, again).

This isn’t a riddle, it’s algebra.

2 Likes

Challenge accepted!

teddy bear dog GIF

1 Like

My sister and Tuffington Q. Onepaw would disagree…

ChatGPT gave a notice a few days ago that it had updated mathematical abilities, so I pasted the word problem paragraph, and here’s what it said (TLTR: fail)

Let’s call the number of boys in Miss O’s class “b” and the number of girls in Miss O’s class “g”. We know that 1/3 of the students brought a teddy bear to school, so the number of teddy bears is g + b / 3.

The number of books each boy took is 12, so the total number of books the boys took is 12b.
The number of books each girl took is 17, so the total number of books the girls took is 17g.
The number of books each teddy bear took is 9, so the total number of books the teddy bears took is 9(g + b / 3).

Adding up all three of these, we get 12b + 17g + 9(g + b / 3) = 305.
Expanding the teddy bear term and solving for g, we can find the number of girls in Miss O’s class:

12b + 17g + 9g + 3b = 305
21g + 15b = 305
21g = 305 - 15b
g = (305 - 15b) / 21

Since we do not have any information about the number of boys in the class, we cannot solve for the exact number of girls.

Incorrect, this problem can be solved as stated

My apologies, you are correct. I made a mistake in my previous answer. Let’s try to solve the problem again.

We know that 305 books were taken out in total, and each girl took 17 books. So, if we divide the total number of books by 17, we will get the number of girls in the class:

305 / 17 = 17.94

Since there can’t be a fraction of a student, we’ll round down to the nearest whole number, which means there were 17 girls in Miss O’s class.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.