Cancel culture book cancelled after author tells Muslims they worship a pedophile

More accurately, singling out one person for something everyone was doing doesn’t make sense.

2 Likes

Muslims, definitionally, put mohammed up on a pedstal saying he was a holy man and a moral teacher, even though he did this very immoral thing lots of other wealthy men did.

By nature of him being the prophet, he’s singled himself out, as do his followers.

5 Likes

“Outrage farmer”. Sounds like every non-journalist we see on Australian Sky News.

3 Likes

Funny how many people, particularly from the right, still have issues grasping the simple concept that free speech has consequences.

1 Like

We haven’t been able to get her out of the limelight for 40 years, just like her former associate Toby Young.

3 Likes

Oh please, the “Virgin” Mary was like 13 when she conceived Jesus.

And don’t even get me started on Zeus.

5 Likes

Now witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational market economy.

2 Likes

Misread as an actual farmer that decide to write a book. Sorry.

Didn’t help that some farmer I know speak “salty”

This is an argument for more truth-telling, not less, though, right? Blasphemy laws – whether wielded by theocrats or all-you-children-play-nice-you-all-really-believe-the-same-things-trust-me-I-know-your-religion-better-than-you secularists – are bad news.

4 Likes

Blasphemy laws are brain-dead stupid.

If you honestly believe your god is the omnipotent omniscient creator of the universe and has no limits, how faithless are you to assume you

1. Can at all understand how it feels
  2. Think this entity is so piss-weak that you have to act on its behalf

Blasphemy laws just prove you don’t really believe your god has any of its own power and that it needs your help to do anything.

10 Likes

Well I actually do believe that. And I think you are pretty much right.

1 Like

I’m not very familiar with the quran but I am with the bible. And in the bible, god called two she-bears into existence just to maul a bunch of kids making fun of his prophet’s bald head.

If god will go to ridiculous lengths like that, just to protect some old guy’s feelings, why would you bother to do anything yourself?

4 Likes

Some of the rule surrounding the sabbath in Judaism are pretty weird. I could never quite get my self to believe in a god, omniscient and omnipresent, that cared if my refrigerator light came on during one particular set of hours.

4 Likes

And the spiritual gymnastics they go through to make living by those rules less annoying, stuff like sabbath elevators…

If I were God and I cared about all those honestly bullshit little rules, the workarounds they use would quite possibly piss me off even more than them not caring

EDIT: To make it clear, I have no claim to speak for the Abrahamic God that I seriously question the existence of

2 Likes

IIRC, when The Satanic Verses came out, the book received some less than favourable reviews in Iran, but that was about it.

Then someone pointed out to Ayatollah Khomeini that some of the passages in the book could be construed as mocking/ criticizing Khomeini, and the rest was, as they say, history.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.