Carpenter shows how to raise a roof, roof doesn't cooperate

That was my first thought - a pulley on the peak of the next truss over, with the rope led to his position (which would also help in raising the truss the last few degrees). Then tighten and tie off before leaving the unsecured truss balancing in the wind.

3 Likes

Time to whip out that scroll of Amish Summoning!

2 Likes

You speak the truth, Mark of Frauenfelder. That which does not live, cannot die. They are the immortal ones. We must worship these great beings.

5 Likes

In addition:

The next step in his cunning plan was apparently to climb a folded stepladder that is too short, not tied off, and right in the path of the truss should it decide to fall over.

Just sayin’.

4 Likes

Or have that metal roofing sheet held on by one nail slide off the roof and nearly decapitate you
Or cut into your hand with a saw, nearly faint while you’re 25 feet up and fall off of the structure
Or lose control of a beam and have it pin your arm and almost break your rotator cuff
Or carrying a board and knock a hammer off a high place and right onto your own head
Or using a come along and the chain breaks, sending the cable and block shooting at your face at 600 mph, but narrowly missing you…

I only write from experience… None of this was made up. But I lived.

I actually DO advocate working alone. Even on dangerous stuff. Keep your wits about you and be on the lookout for your own flaws and mistakes. There’s no one there to save you, so look sharp!

I really hope this guy is just futzing around on his own project and not building a house without some help for a customer. It’s terribly inefficient and slower by several degrees to not have even an inexperienced helper. While he spends days getting the place covered, the deck gets to soak in precipitation and degrade. It’s a form of malpractice.

Besides for all the no hard hat, turning your back stuff, i wonder what his next step was going to be? Was he planning to nail in the truss at one header or was he planning to work between the trusses off a step ladder. Either way he was placing himself in danger. Believe it or not, that was actually the best thing that could have happened.

3 Likes

Let that be an important life lesson: always have a partner when you raise the roof or you could end up looking like an idiot.

6 Likes

Not just that, but you can work at your own pace, stop and think something through without someone else standing there waiting. I hate hiring contractors because the work is inevitably rushed and poorly thought through, because time is money. I just built a whole bunch of old fashioned crowned window casing/sills. Each is of 23 pieces of wood that show, never mind hidden blocking. It’s like building furniture on the wall, and no contractor would ever take the time to do it right.

Plus you can nap whenever you want!

1 Like

Yup. I’ve had to set lights for a show alone. It probably took three times longer without any help because I did everything very, very, very slowly and carefully, knowing that there was no one about to notice if I fell off the ladder.

1 Like

…at least he got a camera position on the subject :slight_smile:

next up a new constitution

2 Likes

Yeah we had three serious injuries on my house extension. Two nail gun injuries and one roofer who got drunk at lunch time and fell while working. We always had at least two people on site, mainly because its a more efficient use of labor that way.

@joeair61

was he planning to work between the trusses off a step ladder.

Some years back a friend gave me some materials from a house he was demolishing. His elderly neighbor had asked to be able to take some light fittings and he was there with this convertible ladder/platform thing. So I am chatting with the friend and suddenly the neighbor is hanging by his hands from a rafter with his platform lying flat on the ground…

1 Like

One to hold the camera and one to raise the truss. Optional third to call an ambulance.

2 Likes

I would add some sort of hinge at the bottom of the truss to keep it from shifting. Even some duct tape might be enough.

1 Like

I thought of hammering a couple of nails halfway down to keep the truss from sliding.

1 Like

Mother Nature has no more fucks to give…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.