Censorship flood: takedown notices to Google increased by 711,887% in four years

Hey, I read that piece. The problem is that it doesn’t appear that the person in that story was using works in the public domain. Instead, it appears that he was claiming that his use of copyrighted material was fair use. As I said in that thread, fair use is an affirmative defence to copyright infringement, and that if you are asserting fair use you are acknowledging you have actually copied something.

People say lots of things without knowing what exactly they are. I mean, you’ve made unsubstantiated claims that a number of commercial DVDs don’t have any DRM at all, despite being “quite familiar” with them, and then claimed that these DVDs don’t need to be ripped. I don’t think that asking for a quick example is asking to much when there is potential confusion of issues.

Sure. But it seems unlikely that CC-licensed works are being tagged as infringing someone’s copyright, and that’s why examples of these supposed public domain works would help understand what’s going on.

You don’t have to do anything in order for copyright to apply. These very words are copyright (and BB’s TOS expressly addresses this copyright issue), even without me doing anything to copyright them. Copyright is only lost if the author abandons copyright, which is rather more difficult than it sounds.

1: http://boingboing.net/tos[quote=“redesigned, post:16, topic:26892”]
I realize from your umpteen pro-copyright, pro-dcma, anti-piracy posts that you have a strong opinion on these issues in favor of the corporations, but please try and understand other peoples points before dismissing them.
[/quote]
I understand the point he is making, but I’m sure if it actually applies, which is why I have asked for an example. And the reason I asked for an example is because the claims often don’t seem to coincide with the reality, such as in the earlier link you post to where DMCA claims are being made and the defence is fair use, not lack of copyright.

Furthermore, being pro-copyright isn’t being pro-corporate, though you may want to tar me with that brush. There are lots of examples here on BB where corporations have infringed on copyright (such as tchochke designs being ripped off, cutout maps being copied, etc., etc.). Indeed, I think the more meaningful and honest distinction is that while I may be pro-copyright (or at least in favour of some cort of copyright regime, even if not precisely the one we currently have), you are anti-corporate. Anti-corporatism is a meaningful and legitimate stance, but it doesn’t always lead itself to a coherent perspective on copyright.

And I understand from your umpteen posts on copyright that you don’t like how corporations use it, but please try to understand my points before dismissing them.