Cheap wine rated as good as expensive wine

You’ll enjoy this -

http://www.planetplutowine.com/terriordebate.html

Our local Booze Shoppe had some nice selections for around $15. On the suggestion of one of the clerks, I picked up a nice white wine that tasted exactly like crisp green apple in the afternose (is there such a word?) A true wine snob would probably pull up their nose at it, but for drinking at a summer afternoon party, it was delightful. I also found a shockingly good $8 cab sauv at our local grocer. Naturally, when I went back for more of the same, they were sold out, never to be seen again.

These days, my tipple of choice tends to be hard cider; the current leader is Angry Orchard Cinnamon or Ginger. Stay away from Woodchuck, a.k.a. Woodchick Piss.

I thought he was objecting to the material not the shape. Plastic has a noticeable scent that would throw off the smell of any beverage.

1 Like

I got this book… in french !

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure but I think in France we know when you buy a bottle more than, say, 10 Euro (and that’s already expensive) you have the same stuff but with, you know, “prestige”. These are bottle to impress, not to drink.

which sort of wine are you buying for less than ten euro?

The conceit of Terroir is that the taste comes down to a particular plot of land, a particular microclimate-- and some plots are [small](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pétrus_(wine)) enough that the supply of wine produced is limited.

By serving such wines, you either have wine drinking skills sufficient to discern and enjoy the small differences, or enough money to waste on a “Grand Cru” when a “Vin de Table” would suffice. Either way, an impressive display.

the plastic smell is the bigger problem, but the small surface area can’t be helping. The difference between a $2 Ikea red wine glass and a Reidel Vinum is a lot less than the difference between that $2 Ikea glass and the plastic crap they used.

2 Likes

The difference between a $2 Ikea glass and anything Riedel makes (in terms of taste and smell) is nil.

Plastic cups are pretty non-reactive so they don’t effect flavor directly. And plastic scent tends to be low to non-existent. The wine will easily overwhelm it. And like I said the vast majority of smell involvement comes up through the back of your throat. Which isn’t plastic.

More over these guys aren’t the first to do this. They’re basically recreating formal research that’s been done dozens of times, bracketed a ton of different ways and using a variety of different cups including glass. All of which just confirms something knowledgeable consumers and wine professionals already knew. Wine price is not a factor of quality. Wine price is determined by land and production cost, rarity, marketing, and import cost/taxes. Actually that goes for all alcohol.

Try a 1945 Chateau Yquem when it’s 30 tears old or an 1929 Chateau Margaux when it’s 50 years old and I think you’ll disagree.

I liked dark chocolate when I was a kid, but I know I was a bit odd. My cousin was the same, he used to eat lemons just like they were oranges.

1 Like

i have only had 45 year old (can’t remember the name). i just prefer reds that are 6-8 years, and champagnes/sparkling whites 3-6 years. i like the more aggressive flavors and tanins, with a bit more fruit up front than in long cellared bottles.

why yes i do vint, brew, and ferment. i have a dozen pinot noir vines in my back yard, and a number of really neat mystery grapes. we can all get along, just pass the bubbly :smile:

(what can i say, veuve cliquot is my favorite even if it isn’t rare).

Fraid that’s impossible, now… UNLESS

YOU HAVE A TIME MACHINE?

That’s awesome!

Do you want to talk about it here, or should we make a new thread?

7 Likes

In the gestalt of a sensual experience (ugh, sorry, can’t think of a less massage-parlorly sounding term right now) having your fingers and lips on cheap plastic instead of glass makes a difference, even if the scent of it isn’t discernible.

One time a dear friend was enjoying a red in an enormous glass. She literally took a bite out of the glass.

She gets coffee mugs now.

4 Likes

Right I mention that earlier. But for the purpose of a test like this all that should matter is that there’s no direct effect on flavor and all wines are tested under identical circumstances. So long as all the wines are tested in the same plastic cup. Other wise you’re basically testing peoples subtle preference in drinking vessels. And not just in terms of plastic vs glass. I’d bet money that with an American rating group wines in red solo cup s would rate higher than wines in clear plastic with a thinner lip.

Was it like this?

1 Like

A little more upbeat, but more screaming :smile:

1 Like

An example : I go in a co-op where for 7 Euro I can buy a great Riesling (a white form Alsace), made by a small local producer.
But I usually prefer beer, so I’m not an expert.

Well, OK then. I have limited, fumbling access to the european market price, but, it does seem as if Alsatian Grand Crus are seriously cheap. On the other hand “Grand Cru” might not mean much. in this AOC.

Yeah, I know that’s unfair :wink:
And many people go directly buy they wine to the producer, with less intermediate you have obviously lower prices.

1 Like