Children's science book instructs students to suffocate a kitten

Pish posh, everyone knows the proper way to suffocate kittens is a burlap sack filled with rocks and thrown in the river!

Didn’t your alcoholic grand-pappy teach you anything?

8 Likes

Whatever happened to just choking the chicken.

6 Likes

Ahh, India, where all life is sacred.

1 Like

“While your parents are sleeping, stab one repeatedly in the neck and chest. Now wait until morning. See that red juice? You’ll find that Mommy needs all that red juice to survive. That red juice is called, “blood”, and living Mommies use that to walk, talk and hug their children. Dead mommies just lie there, because they don’t have blood anymore.”

I’m not even sure what’s creepier

5 Likes

I haven’t checked. Was this book written by former Senate leader Bill Frist?

3 Likes

At least we know Trump didn’t have a hand in it. It could have started with “Grab two pussies…” and gone downhill from there.

6 Likes

Speaking of Scarfolk

3 Likes

Tiny does not approve.

11 Likes

I hate to say it, but this is actually a great example of the scientific method. And a subtle Schrödinger reference, to boot.

4 Likes

ftfy :slight_smile:

4 Likes

More importantly, “no living thing can live without air for more than a few minutes” is wildly incorrect.

8 Likes

Interesting aside about Schrödinger: his notorious thought experiment, which he first devised in an epistolary exchange with Einstein, was meant not to suggest that the cat is actually in a superposition before the the box is opened, but that the Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics had absurd implications for macroscopic objects, because it was theoretically unlikely, but not strictly impossible, for an entangled state to lead to felis indeterminus.

Of course as someone who works in a industry that would be glad to get a few dozen elementary particles to avoid decohering for a few nanoseconds, supercat’s rather academic. But it’s the thought that counts!

This has been a message from your friendly neighborhood history of physics pedant :innocent:

Obligatory Oatmeal cartoon…

10 Likes

…for example obtain suitable tissue and clone 40 great cats for poaching replenishment and 6 for your experiment; monitor the cats’ health and cut it out if and when you see you’re hurting them if you withhold fresh air. Then make aquatic cats with whale DNA and see how long they submerge. Oh, look what you’ve done…

Here is how to make fresh air with low particulates, which land organisms once breathed in some abundance…you like that?

5 Likes

I read similar stories multiple times when I was young. Farmers learn quickly not to get too sentimental about non-human animals.

1 Like

That’s a pretty complicated way to deal with a feral cat problem.

2 Likes

This is an excellent textbook. The child will certainly learn a lesson they’ll never forget.

2 Likes

Then you changed the outcome of what he did there.

2 Likes

Awesome, I did not know that, and he’s a family ancestor!

1 Like

As compared to, say, a 12 pound Coehorn Mortar Cannon?

Yeah. This guy is not impressed:

3 Likes