CIA bought and destroyed Iraqi chemical weapons during US occupation of Iraq

Bush 1: CIA director. Bush 2: Iraq war. Jeb Bush: Presidential candidate. NY Times: Operation Mockingbird, Judith Miller, et.al.
Story: Bush was right, Iraq war justified.
Just clearing the decks for sonny boy, and what will come after.

3 Likes

I’d just like to point out that banner wasn’t for the presidents visit or saying that the whole Iraq mission was accomplished. That banner was for some other specific mission that was finished with. I know it gets made fun of a lot, but it’s one of those things that is taken out of context.

IIRC everyone but Germany was on board with the intel. I mean officially, obviously there will be people who disagree within each government.

If it had worked out and Iraq was a peaceful democracy I would have had a Machiavellian out look that it was necessary. But in hindsight it was a cluster fuck that we shouldn’t have gotten involved in.

One other reason I supported it was it gave the Al Qaeda (sp) and the Jihadist a battlefield other than here. If they wanted to kill Americans and Infidels it was much easier to get on a bus and head to Iraq. But now I think that fear was over blown.

Now I guess older and wiser I would prefer we stay out of it. I mean I would love to help out progressive, non radicals establish a free, democratic society. But it just isn’t that simple. The ideals and cultures don’t translate well. ISIS is a terrible, evil group of people. The Taliban was the same way. I mean just the lowest forms of life. The atrocities against people and women especially is appalling. But I think the people of that region need to get up and put an end to them.

1 Like

I’m having a hard time seeing this as anything other than a cynical attempt to drum up support for military action against in Syria and such. Considering the timing of this this revelation, it suggests that the Iraq invasion was justified because of this purchase.

2 Likes

Everyone who was located within the borders of the US, that is.

Looking at things from Central Europe, it was clear that the Bush administration wanted war. They had been “accidentally” linking al-Qaida and Saddam Hussein since the fall of 2002. It was common knowledge that there was absolutely no basis to that claim, but that Bush had most Americans confused on the matter.

The official excuse for regime change kept changing, and Colin Powell’s speech at the UN basically convinced no one. Yes, Saddam kept cheating the inspectors. But he wasn’t dangerous to anyone beyond the borders of Iraq.

Giving the UN teeth? Well, that’s nice. By violating the UN charter (which bans “preventive” wars), declaring the UN security council “irrelevant” and starting an obviously illegal war? Good job. That really strengthened the UN’s position.

And France. And lots of other governments. And most experts. Don’t forget that some governments went along only in order to exchange favors with the powerful and influential US government. They only needed to believe that supporting the US was in their interest, not that attacking Iraq was the right thing to do.

Public opinion in the EU was about 68% against (“the invasion is unjustified”). Spain, which provided troops, had 79% against, and Great Britain had 51% against.

Have a look at this German opinion piece from a few days before the invasion: »Kriegsgrund dringend gesucht« - DER SPIEGEL

I also heard the prediction that Iraq would turn into a quagmire of guerilla resistance and civil war more than once before the invasion happened.

Yes, America was lied to. But that’s not really an excuse. The American people should have known. Almost everyone else did, so it wouldn’t have been so hard.

P.S.: Can we please officially repeal Godwin’s Law? I’d really like to draw some parallels on the subject of war propaganda

9 Likes

The liberal joke floating around during the marketing campaign to push for war in Iraq was, “Of course Iraq has chemical weapons. We know because we still have the receipts.”

8 Likes

Bad guy NSA spends billions reading your email. Good guy CIA spends millions getting rid of chemical weapons.

Also, having read the comments, the fact that these exist in no way validates claims of WMDs. It was well-established that Iraq was gassing the Kurds. These are not WMDs. These are Weapons of Marginal Terrorism at best.

1 Like

That’s going to be the narrative, huh. Never mind how, as Brainspore points out, it was an open secret that much of what you’ve said was questionable to invented. Never mind how many people familiar with the situation called just how poorly it would go, right down to the power vacuum enabling more radical factions. Never mind how many critics had to be actively ignored, even let go, to make this disaster possible.

No, mistakes were made but hindsight is 20/20. We might have to admit it was a bad idea, but we don’t have to admit anything about why it happened.

Yes, so it was said five years later. At the time, though, they juxtaposed it with a speech about the end of major combat operations. “The War on Terror continues, yet it is not endless. We do not know the day of final victory, but we have seen the turning of the tide.” “In the Battle of Iraq, the United States and our allies have prevailed.” But we can forget that too, I suppose.

7 Likes

If you really believe that then you either weren’t paying attention or were actively dismissing the opinion of any person or government who didn’t agree with the Bush administration’s narrative.

For those who did buy the intel it was largely taken on faith, because few if any governments have an independent intelligence apparatus on par with the CIA. (“They wouldn’t flat-out lie to their own allies, right? Surely they must know something we don’t!”)

We can’t change the mistakes of the past, and I’m glad you are at least willing to admit that the war in Iraq was a total clusterfuck. All I’m asking is that next time someone questions whether a major military operation is a good idea give them the freakin’ benefit of the doubt.

(Hint: the next time is already happening.)

4 Likes

Nope. I went over the Powell presentation in the Newspaper, saw that the evidence they were showing us was faked. I remember one pair of photos which were supposed to show new construction at an old chemical weapons plant. But comparing the shadows, the before and after pictures showed the same buildings, just different times of day. And that left me wondering why reporters weren’t checking the presentatation after publishing it. I wrote a letter to the editor asking people to check for themselves, but it wasn’t published. I suspected that the whole thing was faked to draw us into war. I suspected that if the Iraqi gov’t had old chemical weapons, they had probably degraded, gone missing, etc.

They didn’t even need to fake the photos themselves, because they were vague enough to be open to interpretation. We’re not exactly talking about “U2 spy plane photos of Russian ICBMs in Cuba” quality images here. All they needed to do was present the most terrifying possible interpretation of those photos and add some captions to influence how we would see them. Errol Morris broke it down quite eloquently in his 2008 essay “Photography as a Weapon.”

This is one of the slides Powell showed the UN to make a case for Iraq concealing a weapons program:

This is the same slide with different captions added on the left photo:

This is how most manipulation of intelligence works. Not with photoshopped images and fabricated reports—those kinds of deception can be exposed. More often it’s just highly selective interpretations of evidence that could support the case being made and immediate dismissal of any evidence that doesn’t.

3 Likes

Well I gave other reasons besides just the intel. Admittingly not necessarily great reasons, but that was my thoughts at the time.

But I would like to think I’ve learned something and agree that I don’t want invest man power and weapons in the region. MAYBE an advisory role

Actually, and this make me a commie in some circles, I think as a whole we should scale back our military. Not completely neuter it, but reduce it and force Europe to pick up their tab.

Basically we are supposed to be prepared to fight wars on two front is need be. We are the big back bone holding up all of NATO and act as a security blanket for Europe. When you compare the percentages of GNP spent on the military it is much smaller than us. Why? Because they know if the shit hits the fan the US will throw men and equipment their way.

People say to me. “When the zombies come, I am coming to your house because you have guns.” That is exactly what Europe and our other allies treat us like.

I’d actually interpret it the other way. I don’t think Europe’s military spending is low or unreasonable at all, especially for peacetime. If it seems that way it’s only because ours is ridiculously high even since we failed to heed Eisenhower’s warnings about the Military-Industrial Complex.

5 Likes

It also says the stuff in the shells was in remarkably good condition.

I’m a chemist, I could explain why you’re not correct, if you like.

I for one, think ISIS did remarkably well, baiting us into a war, like a dozen years before they even existed!

1 Like

On the one hand, factually, you are not incorrect. But, the context of that photograph is not ONLY the one intended by the photographer

If the world worked that way, Bush would be able to travel overseas without fear of arrest.

The context is NOW what it is.

And also, let us not forget that that very day, that banner day, he was hiding the US Fleet from the US Press. He kept the ships out at sea, somewhwere between Asia and San Diego, ships which were otherwise returning to port for a shore cycle after a combat cycle. He did this so land based PRESS helicopters could not buzz his photo op.

But I am sure all those 10,000 families who were put off were PSYCHED to put off seeing their loved seamen for a few more days in the name of jingoism, propaganda, and photo opportunities.

Nothing says freedom like a photo op, that you’ve kept the ACTUAL press from covering.

2 Likes

If it had been two-snaps-up-in-a-cirlce, that would have been unequivocal. What is his left hand doing? Thumb down? Glued to the podium? Giving the armed-forces the finger? This was just a mixed message.

2 Likes

plus scare words

People are telling you that they are already, or will soon become zombies, and they know it. Aim for the kneecaps, you won’t have time for kill shots.

1 Like

We can safely say that, probably, some to most of the people involved had worked for GHW Bush when GHW Bush ran the CIA, in the time frame when the CIA helped Iraq manufacture these weapons.

So, we don’t know -nothing- about the back-story. We know of prior institutional involvement, and we can deduce likely personal involvement by likely one or more of the same spooks.

I imagine it was cleaning up their own mess.

GHW Bush used to sign his name “The Head Spook”. Let that be widely known.