Cities want to opportunistically lay fiber lines during big digs, but Koch dark money is trying to stop them

Ok, so you are saying that the Koch brothers would support policies that enabled telecoms to maximize profit because it also happens to undermine the internet as a egalitarian element in our culture that empowers the masses via communication and organization.

If I’ve interpreted that correctly - hmm, I’m not so sure. I think they’re more self interested than that. I think there are other Republican donors that would think that conceptually about it, but the Koch’s seem to act on things that directly translate into policy that advantages them. I think they have a long game, but not a long long game.

1 Like

WTF is with the wealthy and the GOP? They refuse to do ANYTHING that will benefit the poor, working and middle class. They refuse to do anything for the health and welfare of American citizens. This nation is fucking doomed.

4 Likes

Wow, no. I just mean it’s a big deal. How did you even… nevermind. No, not what I meant. Stick to what I said?

1 Like

well I’m still left unsure why they would have interest in this

Actually, you did just what I meant. A general across-the-board claim including some judgment, suitable for some verbal melee (“You shut up!” – “No you shut up!”). Nevermind, we’re not in court.

1 Like

Boingboing headlines are so bad it’s justifiable.

Tough world where innocent capitalists have to hide to promote free enterprise over the communistic tendency of local government.

After World War 2, Europe and Asia were smashed, but North America was relatively unscathed and still humming from an intense war economy. The rich needed America to rebuild the world, and politicians in both parties, awash in post war patriotism, worked hand in hand to create a stable Keynesian economy (tax in good times, spend in bad times a.k.a. Tax and Spend).

Now that the world is rebuilt, and peace has largely removed trade barriers, capitalists don’t need America anymore. They’ll happily move their money wherever it benefits them most. The country can go third world for all it matters to them and given the income inequality, and politicians perfectly willing to ignore the will of the people, not to mention the Nazi-in-chief, it’s just about at that level.

2 Likes

This is why Kansas is so bad off now, the country’s own version of Mordor, and Topeka is Mount Doom. Despite Sauron being two brothers, which kind of spoils the metaphor.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.