Clients from Hell: a website for designers to vent

Exactly. Kuler is awesome if you’ve been tasked with picking colours for anything. Also if you really need to use Arial there’s always TPB. Can you see M$ coming for yo ass to get the licence fee?

@chgoliz heh, thanks. Contrary to popular belief, I am capable of tact when required :smile:

I figured that if I’m gonna have to work with this stubborn old codger then I may as well try to make our communication work. So much for that! Though if she’d received the mocking ridicule I was sending to the marketing department who also work with her then I’m sure I’d be talking to HR pretty soon.

Yes, yes it does. Typing furious messages or little stories into the crash report box is also a hobby of mine.

4 Likes

Oh, believe me, when I shared my story, I toned it down. I have absolutely no idea how this guy didn’t end up getting clobbered by customers. I can only assume that, with that customer, that he was less of an unprofessional asshole with clients than he was with people he clearly saw as beneath him. There’s no way I’d consider this person as a real estate agent.

So I see what you’re saying. :slight_smile:

To be fair, I’m one of those jerks who’s read Mike Monteiro’s Design is a Job and freaked out a bit while mulling over the implications.

I’m reliving my nightmares.

1. Old lady who obsessed about minor details instead of getting me the bulk data to populate her ecommerce site, and would call me at 3am for changes. (I usually worked late, but still.)

2. Spent a week back and forth, taking baby steps to design a logo. When it was all said and done he said he didn’t like it and wasn’t going to pay me. Wha - what? Maybe you could have said something some time during the past week if you didn’t like something so we could go another direction.

3. Spent FOREVER trying to nail down colors that mimicked the “new colors they have at Olive Garden”.

1 Like

Confession time: I bet there is a story somewhere on the internet about me being a ‘client from hell’. Sigh.

and a few too many stories that would be more apt on graphicdesignerswithoutsocialskillsfreakoutoverperfectlyreasonablerequests.net

1 Like

I rarely visit other site’s comment sections, so I always forget what a gem BB is.

Most of the comments on that site are nasty, flaming each other, or unable to process humor.

Amen, brother. Whoever receives the crash reports at both Apple and Adobe have received any number of screeds from me on a number of subjects. I will say that I do describe the problem as best as possible, but that description is often laced (shot through, swamped?) with colorful metaphors regarding my feelings about the crash being reported. I find it’s cathartic and I wholeheartedly recommend the practice.

I’m not sure what it is about creative fields that makes people think it’s okay to second guess a professional. You wouldn’t pull any of this stuff with your doctor or mechanic.

Is it because people can have a preference or opinion on it subjectively that they feel this makes them an authority?

It’s because creative fields aren’t really work, don’tcha know?

Going into some form of business after barely maintaining a C average in school means you will make more money than all but the most talented creative workers. This of course means you are smarter and better than they are. It’s their fault for not heeding your excellent improvements to their work.

1 Like

“Ask your doctor if <insert medicine here> is right for you”

“I’m sick, I need antibiotics”

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.