Cloud computers are computers you can only use with someone else's permission

Haven’t done any professional print projects with it yet, so I can’t comment on that. Maybe ask in the forum (forums.scribus.net/)? Sadly Scribus can’t open INDD files, I think because Adobe won’t specify the format. They’re in the process of implementing IDML support though.

1 Like

there is no cloud, just other people’s computers

1 Like

I realize now that my post was made in the context of cloud infrastructure, not just licensing servers with subscription models like Adobe. But since this whole article is about adobe, I get where you’re coming from.

For what it’s worth I don’t really have a strong opinion on subscription software - personally I’d rather pay the up-front cost unless I’m getting a significant service benefit alongside it, as most times I’m planning on using it for a while, but I totally get that it makes sense for some applications. It’s also worth noting that apparently Adobe has a 30 day check-in policy for it’s auth, which I think is probably a good standard in terms of customer/company benefits.

(Minor gripe, I hate when people just use ‘cloud’ to mean ‘the internet’ instead of meaning ‘a geo-distributed network of computers with inherent self-healing and redundancy’. I realize that working with infrastructure like that for a living I’m biased, but seeing stuff like Western Digital labeling a hard drive ‘MyCloud’ made me want to fly somewhere and punch someone.’

1 Like

If I can’t keep my computer running full time then I should pay myself compensation?

I’m waiting for the Hedge Fund to realise that it could buy up Adobe, halt any software development to eliminate salary costs, hike the prices, and screw the customer base as a high return investment over a 3 year interval, before letting the company dissipate. If the only objective is to provide a high return over a short period of time, it would be cost effective to screw the users by hiking fees.You could have options to out-bid the competition - suppose there was an option to buy the right to deny an alternate user access to a Cloud Service… then effectively you have a bidding war between competing organisations, or non-disclosure agreements on pricing, to screw the more profitable organsations. Cloud Computing provides a number of exciting options for short term profit maximisation, and I’m looking forward to seeing them exploited.

3 Likes

That means I’m owed a fucking fortune.

1 Like

No joke. We switched to using disconnected personal computers for a reason.

Having said that, I’m actually torn on CS. On the one hand, it’s a load of crap that they’re moving to a model where I can’t just pay a fee outright and use it however long I can keep a computer/OS running it. On the other, I’ve gotten on some of these online freelancer websites, and the kind of rates the Indian and Chinese people are charging, there’s no way in hell they’re covering the cost of a CC monthly license.

There are times, though, that I’m glad I’m stubborn and use Linux for as much as I can. I mean, I like being able to do something like, say, fire up Google Docs on my phone, dictate to it, and then edit it on a desktop or laptop into something resembling coherent thought, but I hate the notion that we’ll have to rely on client/server architecture–sorry, “the cloud”–for everything.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.