Company is modding street lights into electric vehicle chargers

I don’t have an EV, but there is no need to be an ass. People steal everything they can, so if this sort of thing becomes common enough, I’m sure they’ll find ways to steal from it - in London or anywhere else.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to be a jerk.

The cable would be pretty much useless if you were to cut it; more likely you’d try to defeat the locks and take the cable-- but it is registered to you so it’s probably not of much value if stolen-- they could just turn it off if it was taken.

1 Like

Street lights in the US (at least here in Silicon Valley) were about 1kW per fixture, and the new ones are sub-100W. Admittedly that’s at 120V.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure. I had a quick dig around some lighting specifications for UK local authorities (weeee!) and quite a few seem to specify 2.5mm2 3 core cable in the lamp post so it could plausibly take somewhere between 10A and 20A. Fuses would probably need to be upgraded but I think there’s a fair bit of headroom built in. The cables linking the lamp posts together should be chunkier still but they’re managed by the distribution network operator and I can’t find any specifications for them…

1 Like

Good timing!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.