Conspiracy theorist "comedian" who yelled sexist remarks at AOC now suing her for blocking him on Twitter

That also brings up a technical question I honestly don’t know the answer to.

Do blocks work on embeds?

1 Like

I don’t use twitter so I don’t know for sure; but it seems likely to me that a blocked user would still be able to see embedded tweets elsewhere, if not on the platform itself.

That said, I’m genuinely surprised every day that goes by that twitter is still online; it seems inevitable that something will break irreparably because Phony Stark has already fired everyone who was capable of fixing it.

9 Likes

You and me both. I expected it to be offline permanently by January. Looks like downtime is coming more and more frequently lately, so who knows how much longer. I’m guessing it’ll be down for good before this suit goes anywhere, unless the judge dismisses it.

1 Like

I am so stealing that!

9 Likes

I’m surprised this legal case is making it so far at all. By this argument, any public figure who gives an interview on a cable news channel is essentially “blocking” those of us who don’t have a cable package from hearing that discourse.
It’s like they’re trying to apply the same rules of access we have around am/fm radio waves with zero of the guidelines that protect the public commons. :woman_shrugging:t2:

12 Likes

He’s certainly entitled to the information there. He’s not entitled to interact with her there. Just as if he was abusive in her office- he’d be turfed out.

He’s free to file a FOIA request for the documents. Him not doing so before filing the lawsuit should inform the court’s decision. He has many other venues to petition the government.

14 Likes

Feel free!

I can’t claim credit; it was already in use as early as 2021.

9 Likes

aka Ironic Nazi.

8 Likes
7 Likes

Agreed.
The “town square” should not be a privatised entity.

3 Likes

Baloney. I don’t have a twitter account at all. That doesn’t mean government officials have a responsibility to contact me when they tweet. The notion that he is in anyway entitled by law to recieve her tweets is patently absurd

I hear AOC told a joke at a fundraiser, but I wasn’t invited so I didn’t get to hear it. It’s unfair to block me from hearing this otherwise public information. /s

5 Likes

He can see them when he logs out, right?

It’s not about access to the tweets, it’s about his “right” to post creepy shit in the reply thread :poop:

10 Likes

That lawyer is well funded by the Koch Bro and the Bradley Foundation.

5 Likes

Istr when this came up in TFG’s presidency that the issue was his social media people blocking accounts from following the official POTUS Twitter account. Which I sorta buy isn’t an appropriate thing to do.

By the same token this guy might have an issue if aoc were blocking him from following the official NY-14 House representative account. But if it’s just from her personal account, which she happens to also use for broadcasting opinions, talking politics, promoting reelection campaigns, etc., well, he can go take a long walk off a short pier. Jmo.

5 Likes

But again, IIRC, that only applies to her constituents. She doesn’t have a responsibility in an official capacity for communicating policy to some yahoo from Texas.

10 Likes

But… how will she know his important views on how she looks if she blocks him! Isn’t it men’s god given right to objectify women, and for women to meekly take it, because that’s what we’re designed for? /s

7 Likes

Well naturally…he is a low-functioning white man so his right to masturbate ragefully in front of a camera is more important than any of our rights to avoid his odious presence.

5 Likes

But, seriously, this is where this all sort of breaks down… for one, this guy is not her constituent. Second, should someone making threats of violence against a public official be allowed to continue to do so, with no consequences?

We need to start understanding that such language being deployed against women is actually a threat to our well-being. It implies a particular kind of ownership over our bodies by men… and that sort of thinking leads to acts of violence against women, in addition to them being considered “less” serious as public figures…

11 Likes

I have a pair of those. They are excellent boots.

2 Likes

Those look nice. What kind of boots are they?

2 Likes