Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Another little update-

The FT have made their analysis and visualisation of the outbreak free and have placed it outside their paywall.

Their visualisation shows quite clearly how the centre of the outbreak has shifted, first to Europe, then to the Americas.

9 Likes

Just FTR, the phrasing is ambiguous. Covid-19 has an average incubation period of under a week. Two weeks are rather rare in the datasets, and everything above three weeks can be considered an outlier. (But it apparently happens.)

Then again, the numbers of new infections are fiddly in itself. Not diving into details, but there are lags in testing and reporting.

Bottom line: It is to early to tell what effect the protests will have on the case numbers. We will only see the results after some time, when case reporting is corrected.

7 Likes

I found this interesting in regard to the situation in Germany.

The dashboard shows data on ICUs across Germany, inclduding information on how many ICU beds are occupied by Covid-19 patients, how many are ventilated, and whatā€™s the percentage of Covid-19 cases of the total local number of ICU beds.

Sidenote: there is a ton of interesting data visualisations online, and despite I hate to use ESRI products myself out a decades long fight with those products, I am impressed by their help in this.

7 Likes

This.

It doesnā€™t make sense to argue on the one hand that some crowds are a probable source of infection but others arenā€™t, just because some of the crowds exist for more important reasons.

I think the protesters have mostly tried to stay socially responsible. However, it isnā€™t always possible, if you have police kettling or unexpectedly high turnout or even some moderate fraction of the crowd who doesnā€™t understand or agree with the rules (like some of the mask-wearers in photos with the masks around their chins, or who remove their masks to shout).

Tomorrowā€™s demonstration at the US Embassy in Oslo is expected to draw over 10,000 people. I might go ā€“ the embassy has actually welcomed the protest! ā€“ but probably wonā€™t, as 10k maskless people on the embassy grounds will not be able to keep even 1 metre apart.

(Incidentally, while I generally donā€™t think that masks make sense outdoors, this is the kind of situation where they absolutely do. )

7 Likes

The oppression that requires protesting will almost certainly cause a shitload of new infection. The idiocy that preceded the protests will also create a shitload of new infection.

And it is extremely predictable that the media will publish a fuckton of articles that blame the protests and ignore the idiocy.

That was the point of the tweet.

12 Likes

:man_facepalming:

15 Likes
8 Likes
15 Likes

Shocking.

12 Likes
3 Likes

I know itā€™s necessary, but I still shudder at ā€œGive more of my tax dollars to Frontier and Comcast!ā€

Iā€™m sure this time theyā€™ll be responsible and honorable about it.

10 Likes

One lesson from the pandemic is, or should be, that internet needs to be a public utility. Comcast can just sell content over the wire like Hulu and Pluto.

12 Likes

https://www.tucsonweekly.com/TheRange/archives/2020/06/04/puzzle-of-the-day-can-you-spot-the-pattern

For all their talk, Republicans clearly do not believe in Hell.

10 Likes

Both the two main universities in Arizona have outstanding groups in applied mathematics. This nonsense is not going to go unnoticed.

3 Likes

Does it matter? Douchy kicked academic advisement to the curb a month ago.

6 Likes

It might. I donā€™t know much about Arizona, but in most states Iā€™ve lived in, even ones where university professors are widely regarded as ivory-tower pinkos, when science faculty from the flagship schools show up in the local papers with op-eds or interviews on aspects of policy in their area of expertise, people pay attention.

3 Likes

In two of the three States Iā€™ve lived in, that is 100% not the case.

1 Like

Which, presumably, doesnā€™t require a curfew, while walking your dog and running errands is basically prohibited by a curfew. So the answer is ā€œweā€™re enforcing curfew selectively against the type of person who breaks windows, smokes marijuana and shoots people. And you know what type of person that is.ā€

Yuck.

21 Likes

Iā€™m sorry to hear that.

In Arizona it looks like the Governor didnā€™t like the news coming out of the teams at U of A and ASU, and essentially tried to fire them, though I understand (from other channels) they are just continuing their work without the official DHS imprimature:

Whether there is a backlash from that remains to be seen, though the Arizona Republic op-ed is obviously trying to make a deal of it.

8 Likes

Daily: Majority of Finnish residents plan local holiday travel

BoothLake
Iā€™ll admit, social distancing comes pretty easily in a canoe in the back country of Algonquin Park. Iā€™ll be vacationing ā€œlocallyā€ for sureā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face:

ā€¦and itā€™s a nice restful image, no?..

@d_r Iā€™ve got you beat: 11,000km to my SO.

Got you beatā€¦ 13,853km from mine :slightly_frowning_face:

3 Likes