Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

With the politicization of simple public health, I expect that there will be stores that have a no-mask policy, as well as Karen/Kens that freak out over other people wearing masks.

12 Likes
19 Likes

It looks like health insurance companies in the US might have a lot more people to put into the ā€œpre-existing conditionā€ category next year. :worried:

20 Likes

The US should implement this - starting with Trump.

21 Likes

Edit:

Effective October 7, 2020, American is suspending service to and from these cities:

Del Rio, Texas (DRT)
Dubuque, Iowa (DBQ)
Florence, South Carolina (FLO)
Greenville, North Carolina (PGV)
Huntington, West Virginia (HTS)
Joplin, Missouri (JLN)
Kalamazoo/Battle Creek, Michigan (AZO)
Lake Charles, Louisiana (LCH)
New Haven, Connecticut (HVN)
New Windsor, New York (SWF)
Roswell, New Mexico (ROW)
Sioux City, Iowa (SUX)
Springfield, Illinois (SPI)
Stillwater, Oklahoma (SWO)
Williamsport, Pennsylvania (IPT)

For now, the changes are in place until November 3, American said. The carrier said it would continue to evaluate its network and that there could be additional schedule changes in the coming weeks.

14 Likes

Iā€™m surprised that air circulation on planes is cited as the reason air travel without distancing is deemed safe by some health organizations. I wonder if there is case tracking at airports or conducted by airlines. It would be great to see a version of the first simulation below with masked passengers, but part of the problem is that masks vary in effectiveness:

12 Likes

My local gov imposes a $100 fine for not wearing a face mask in public but I like this better.

17 Likes

The air is hepa filtered and exchanged at a high rate - but youā€™re still very close to others. When I have to fly I wear an n95 and a face screen- and always get a window seat. At least one side without a person next to you.

Also - I aim that filtered air vent at me in full force to push away anything coming from nearby- need to bring a jacket when I do that.

19 Likes

I think itā€™s awesome, too! But credit where credit is due: @KathyPartdeux scooped you. :wink:

7 Likes

Jinx!

Scotch sometime Akimbo?

11 Likes

8f61cae5502df839cdaa2f16d2575688

18 Likes

But thereā€™s one decision we can never question.

ā€œIā€™m short of saying Iā€™m mad as hell and Iā€™m not going to take it anymore,ā€ Robbins said. ā€œThis is part of being a good member of society, to take into account the health of others, not just your individual health and your individual desire to go out and party.ā€

What a brave truth-talker!

8 Likes

I just read a piece in the NYT about Caputo. Not going to link, for reasons of sanity.

If you read it, I think you understand that I am feeling like Iā€™m going to puke any second now. If you didnā€™t, donā€™t. Summary: that guy is a crank in an important position. When the assistant secretary for public affairs at the Health and Human Services Department tries to influence important CDC reports and additionally spreads conspiracy theories claiming that researchers within the CDC are trying to bring down the sitting president essentially by killing people, then you have a serious problem at hand.

The rest is just more crap.

Holy shit, this is harrowing.

16 Likes

Oh, and while I am scare shirtless about news from the US, I am equally astonished about some things here in Germany.

Short summary in English, if your translation tool fails you:
A superspreading event in Bavaria was linked to a US citizen (26, working at a US forces hotel), visiting several pubs while being under quarantine after being diagnosed with a SARS-CoV-2 infection. 24 people alone tested positive on the premises of the US forces where she stayed. She recently returned from a vacation in another European country.
It seems she could be held legally accountable due to assault by negligence (StGB Par. 229). Even state Gouvernment officially commented.

15 Likes
16 Likes

20 Likes

ā€œLet them get sick and dieā€ -Probably Charles Darwin

7 Likes

Sadly, of course it would not just be them. If it were to be so, go for it, but alas it is not.

16 Likes

There have to be consequences.

These people should never be allowed back into responsible businesses, never be able to get jobs, never have a place in decent society. There are more than enough of us to do it, we just have to insist on it.

8 Likes

Ok, maybe we need to offer these folks membership in a special club. That club will issue cards containing a chip that can be read from a safe distance via an app that generates a ā€œStay Far, Far Away From This Oneā€ alert. When they gather like this, a device (like a Super Soaker) could be used to distribute UV ink. Then we make sure healthcare workers have blacklights - in case they need more information for triage. :thinking:

9 Likes