Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

The Coronavirus Got Chris Christie Shooketh: I Was Wrong. I Should’ve Worn a Mask

18 Likes

DOD study says coronavirus transmission risk on a crowded airplane with people wearing masks is low

15 Likes

OK, OK, I’m going to cross post this because my wife and kids are :new_zealand: and Ardern is a friend’s neighbour and totally genuine person and this is a ray of sunshine in my day…

And also, it’s what happens to politicians who deal with COVID-19 with compassionate but totally decisive action…

22 Likes

Well, that is a problem. Not conclusive, of course, but adds to the confusion over how best to deal with this thing. Oh, right, don’t get it. Mask, distance, you know the drill. Pharma is not coming to the rescue fast enough to stop doing these things.

28 Likes

I’m glad it humbled him some, but it’s still frustrating to hear him quoted as if him wearing a mask would’ve protected him, even though most of the other attendees weren’t wearing masks. I wish the headline was that he’d said we all should be wearing masks.

18 Likes
15 Likes

I think it fits in with the description of pre-existing conditions (asthma and obesity). People with them were warned to wear masks to protect themselves. Folks of Christie’s ilk tend to believe that rules are for other people, and there’s always an exception (until they have to deal with consequences).

On top of the selfish angle, it bothers me that people without those conditions might use that part of his story as another reason to avoid wearing masks. I haven’t seen anything from 45 on the subject, and Kushner hates Christie, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see some ugly name-calling and victim-blaming from that quarter. Last I checked, 45 claims his doctor said he wasn’t obese, he’s cured of coronavirus, and he’s immune - all of which fits into a “I’m stronger and in better shape than other people” message. :unamused:

16 Likes

WTAF.

Can’t “like” that, but thanks for the info. That’s bloody awful.

18 Likes

Question I so wish would’ve been posed at his last town hall: Recently you claimed to be a perfect physical specimen. Can you please explain why you got a medical deferral from the Vietnam draft while the rest of us were either watching our friends and family members get sent over to fight, or being sent over ourselves?

17 Likes

11 Likes

Not feeling enough rage in your life? Have we got a show for you!

18 Likes

Always by design:

https://amp.theguardian.com/education/2020/oct/17/uk-universities-accused-of-keeping-students-at-all-costs-until-after-fee-deadline

14 Likes
5 Likes

Every time I see a story like this, a version of the intro to The Six Million Dollar Man plays in my head:

“…we can rebuild [it]…we have the technology…we have the capability to build…better than [it] was before…better, stronger, faster.”

Then I try not to think about the fact it’s gonna cost us a lot more than six million dollars. I wonder how much the government could collect from 45’s tax penalties with interest? Maybe his criminal cases would lead to civil asset forfeiture, too. :thinking:

12 Likes

“Trump” is just a brand name for awful people. Otherwise, there are nominal assets and huge debts.

12 Likes
20 Likes

Well, here’s the Guardian:

13 Likes

One thing I’ve read about remdesivir is that it can be helpful when administered very early on since it can inhibit the virus’ ability to replicate before it overruns the body.

This could have been a part of Trump’s quick recovery since he got it pretty much right away after testing positive. For those people that aren’t the president and are sick enough to be actually admitted, they are already in really bad shape so you get very diminishing returns since the virus is already running roughshod over you.

I am obviously not a scientist or medical professional but this seems completely plausible to me.

It just makes it all the more disgusting how Trump keeps bragging about how awesome he is because he recovered from COVID-19 while completely ignoring that he had access to the kind of treatment and care that basically no other American would have access to.

I’m so tired.

16 Likes
9 Likes
12 Likes