Cops pick up Maryland kids again, hold them for hours without informing parents

I don’t think the first instance involved a neighbor. The first time, kids were not picked up in their neighborhood (IIRC they were walking to their neighborhood), but in the middle of the business district, right about here. That’s a very busy intersection, and I am compelled to agree it is not a good place for unattended children.

Having said that, picking them up at a park in their own neighborhood? That’s just spiteful.

1 Like

According to the local news, the 911 call was from a concerned dog-walker who followed them for some distance before making the call.

1 Like

I am definitely old school. grew-up playing “Red Light Green Light” late (11:00 PM) or “Hide and Seek” during summer eves. My kids, born in the 70’s and 80’s lived the same type of childhood that their father and I did. It’s difficult for me not to assume that the local police and CPS staff do not have more serious crimes to investigate and solve. There have to be a number of abused and neglected children that need the protection that CPS are trying to enforce on a family that clearly are for and love their children.

1 Like

I’m afraid that the problem is largely the people of Silver Springs. I raised my daughter during the 00’s in a gated golf course community in the deep south c. 2004 - 2007, & then in a similar socioeconomic environment in the far west. I was always, always – like ActionAbe’s mom – much more afraid of the upper middle class busybodies in our neighborhoods than of any imaginary Aqualung style predators.

Upper middle class twits, looking for someone to mistreat while pretending to do right, abound in towns like Silver Springs, MD. Calling the cops on a pair of kids because they were walking alone for a bit in broad daylight should be an actionable offense – perhaps making a false report is the right charge. If charges were leveled regularly against those who misuse the police in this way, the problem would abate, rather swiftly.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.