Costco receipt checking is about catching overcharges

“Castle Themed” stores.

The family that run them are “colourful”

3 Likes

Well, now I know where not to go shopping when I’m in the area.

3 Likes

They used to run adverts in the local papers which were equal measure promotions of what was in store and looney-toons UKIP conspiracy political advertising. Apparently that is legal in the UK.

2 Likes

I just checked to make sure I wasn’t screwing myself. Costco does share the lowest gas price with other stations in the area, but plenty have the same price. The place I go is HEB because it’s closer, and it’s 5c/gallon more, but 5m away and on my way to stuff instead of 20m away and not, so I think I’m OK with that.

1 Like

I go to Costco when I am nearby for some reason and have time to kill. This year since my kids play hockey and we haven’t been allowed in to watch, I’ve found myself with 1.5 hours to spare near a Costco quite often.

In BC they are good for cheese, various nonperishables, toilet paper, some produce, and a few random things. I rarely get a large order, but in total it is worth the trip. I usually have a good sense of what things cost in my local grocery store, so if there is something I need that is better priced I’ll pick it up.

Of course, our house has 2 teenage hockey players in it, so we go through food by the pallet load. In a decade our needs will likely be a lot different.

3 Likes

It turns out it wasn’t legal.

1 Like

Thanks to the two cash-back aspects of the Executive card (both Costco and Citi give you a check once a year based on total spending), it is possible to justify the cost of a Costco membership even if you go to the warehouse sparingly over the year.

Everyone will have a different area that works for them, no matter how small the household: alcohol, frozen fruits & veggies, OTC drugs & vitamins, shelf-stable standards (canned tomatoes, broth/soup, pasta sauce, oils & vinegars), etc. The gas discount, as many have already said. But as someone who is in the empty nest stage of life, I can assure you that it’s still worth keeping the membership. I just go less often. In fact, most of the time I just get gas and never walk inside.

Plus, I like supporting a business that treats its employees and purveyors so well. Even if I didn’t actually save money, that would still be a major reason to shop there.

4 Likes

In West Los Angeles, Costco is usually .05 cheaper than the next closest cheap gas (ARCO and World) alternatives in my neighborhood and can be .$0.8-1.05 cheaper than the Chevrons near nicer neighborhood high traffic areas, etc.

I do a lot of road tripping around CA and the west, Costco gas is reliably good and cheap.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.