Crappy AI knockoff books are already topping the publishing charts

Or, worse, impactful. For when impact isn’t full enough.

3 Likes

… er, I think the joke is that it’s usually the other way around, “effect” is usually the noun and “affect” is usually the verb

They’re legitimately confusing homonyms

3 Likes

Nope.

Merriam-Webster says:

"Effect can be a verb. As a verb, effect generally means “to cause to come into being” or “accomplish.” "

1 Like

Yes, I can tell that you are a human because in most writings extent on the internet that sentence would end “must. find. some. scrambled. eggs. to. put. in. my. tossed. salad.”

So, for sure a human

1 Like

sure dude whatever :roll_eyes:

Er… Sorry?

1 Like

Nope.

I wasn’t apologising - I was saying, "What do you mean…?’

1 Like

I forgive you

emphasis mine.

commonly it’s used for things like “sound effect”, “special effect”, etc. so definitely a noun

now “whether this will affect your position” or whether “this will have little immediate effect” – both webster examples - who knows.

personally, what i find even more confusing is the usage of “flat affects”, etc. where suddenly the verb becomes a noun. ugh.

it’s not simple, and i agree with this sentiment:

So we have the verb affect “to influence” without a readily available noun form, and the noun effect “result,” without a readily available verb form. Add to this mutual need the similar semantics and the nearly identical phonetics, and it’s no wonder that the two words have formed a duo.

now look what you’ve done

Frustrated Sean Bean GIF

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.