David "Debt" Graeber evicted, implicates NYPD intelligence, claims revenge-harassment for OWS participation

It is good to know. They are behaving in a manner which would promote a feeling of threat in a target. Why do that other than because the organization feels threatened. Not an individual. A bureaucracy run amok.

Which angle are you looking at this from, and could you please avoid attempts to turn tables in future?

Well, that makes a bit more sense. That said, there are few things more dangerous in our society than when ‘the Man’ feels threatened. That’s when shit starts to get ugly.

I’d prefer ‘The Man’ feel complacent right until we kick his door in.

2 Likes

So, the “technicality” is that he isn’t on the lease and is enjoying the benefit of a artificially low rent due to NYC’s arcane rent control laws, a rent that should have adjusted once he took over the apartment.(I had a friend who had lived int he same apartment in Queens so long her rent was one fifth of a new tenant’s, one can only imagine how much of a break he was getting at other people’s expense )

Yeah, my heart is bleeding for his predicament. He is stealing from someone, lying (about who lives there) and otherwise benefiting financially at someone else’s expense. Nice guy to be the People’s Hero opposing corruption and unjust profits at others’ expense.

2 Likes

Could be both police harassment and a landlord who wants to charge more than the rent-controlled rate. Not necessarily an either/or.

3 Likes

My understanding of NYC rent-control rules, is that if a leasing family member dies, then surviving family members are legally entitled to take over the lease and continue paying the same rent with the same protection.

If that’s the case, then it appears David Graeber is in the right but being ousted due to a technicality, which is that no other family member’s name was put on the lease when his parents died. He himself was 3 at the time.

He and his family have lived there since, so it is really surprising to me that the landlord was able to evict them that quickly - even if a court would rule in the landlord’s favor. Usually landlord/tenant disputes take much longer to resolve. So I do think a guess that the police were especially helpful to the landlord because of Graeber’s notoriety, is not entirely without basis.

That said, we’ll have to see how it plays out in the courts. If Graeber is in the right, as it seems he is, I sincerely hope the landlord and all authorities involved are soon making the license plates for his Mercedes.

2 Likes

Sad to hear of these difficulties. His book really is amazing. The illuminating context he brings to all of history and culture is insightful, even in the rare cases when I disagree with some of his conclusions.

1 Like

Something doesn’t add up here. Graeber’s Twitter page says “London.” His Wikipedia page says he lives in London, where he is currently a professor. And before that (1998-2007) he was a professor at Yale, which suggests his primary residence was probably near New Haven – a couple hours away from New York.

“Primary residence” is the keyword here. If the apartment in question was really the “family home” for 50 years, it was unquestionably rent-controlled and renting at far below market rent. New York City laws do indeed allow a rent-controlled apartment to be passed down from parent to child. But you don’t get to enjoy that sweet, sweet below-market rent if it’s not your primary residence.

My guess is that he’s been using his rent-controlled apartment as an inexpensive pied-à-terre for years. This is unequivocally illegal, and highly unfair by most people’s moral standards – unfair to the landlord, of course, but also unfair to other renters who can’t get apartments at reasonable prices in NYC’s incredibly tight market.

If that is in fact the case, I have zero sympathy for the guy. His eviction isn’t the result of a “technicality” (not having your name recorded on a 50-year-old lease wouldn’t be a reason for eviction in extremely tenant-friendly NYC); it’s the result of the fact that he’s been cheating the system for the better part of two decades and they finally caught up with him.

If it isn’t the case – well, he’s got some explaining to do as to how he has had NYC as his honest-to-God primary residence while being a professor at out-of-state and out-of-country universities. Typically he would have to show that he holds a NY driver’s license, has always voted in NYC, gets his mail there, pays NYS and NYC taxes and files as a NY resident, etc. etc. and most importantly spends more than half the year living in that apartment, and has done so continuously the whole time.

4 Likes

My understanding of NYC rent-control rules, is that if a leasing family member dies, then surviving family members are legally entitled to take over the lease and continue paying the same rent with the same protection.

Apparently, succession isn’t necessarily automatic.

http://metcouncilonhousing.org/help_and_answers/succession_rights#answer01

So if he was not living there in the two years prior to his parents passing away/moving out, then he would not be eligible. If he was, he would still have needed to get his name on the lease when he took possession and began paying rent. That’s not a minor technicality, it’s the process of succession.

While I don’t find it too unlikely that foul play from the landlord was a factor, from the information we have available it’s equally possible that he didn’t have the right (Did he seriously never move away from his childhood home as an adult? That would be exceedingly rare) or that he or his lawyer fumbled the process.

What I’d be especially slow to conclude based on what’s available to me now, is that any sort of conspiracy with law enforcement was involved. That just seems like a leap.

3 Likes

Fraudulent Foreclosure in my v****a? It’s more common than you think.

threads/stories where we don’t know all the facts tend to bring out two camps, those that assume the best of the person in question and those that assume the worst.

i find these cognitive biases fascinating and often wonder if the parallel to the character of the person assuming, their life experiences, or the most likely, some combination of the two?

humans are fascinating. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good information in general. I will add that, in NYC, it is actually pretty likely for someone to never “move away” and stay in the same apartment for decades. NYC has just about anything someone might want within its borders, all of it as easily reached from one apartment as another. Whereas a good cheap apartment is absolute gold.

Not that difficult, I had a professor who lived in New Haven and commuted to New York every day, I’m sure there are people who go the opposite direction for Yale. They can work their schedules so they’re only in town 4 days a week anyway.

5 Likes

You have a very novel definition of “stealing.” He’s paying the rent he’s charged, by leaving the in the home he has lived in all his life. Having rent not go up while living in the same home you’ve lived in most of your life, is the very reason why rent control laws exist.

But yes, as a landlord, I weep (WEEP, I say!) for my fellow bourgeoisie who were forced (FORCED, I say!) to purchase and rent out a rent-controlled building.

6 Likes

My default is that I assume shadowy conspiracies don’t exist until I see good reason to think so.

That’s not really a cognitive bias, it’s the application of “Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily.”

I understand holding onto a good cheap apartment. I think it’s probably at least slightly less common for fairly successful adults to continue living in their childhood bedrooms.

Less common these days, especially New York City, but I have friends who now own the family farm that they grew up in.

1 Like

with the lack of information any assumption is based on a personal cogitative bias.

but yes, i too personally generally follow occam’s razor and usually tend towards the simpler of two explanations, that is my cognitive bias of choice. although i will add that lately the US government has shown itself completely capable and willing to engage in such seemingly unlikely behaviors, so while I don’t go there without reason, i don’t completely rule it out either. In this case I personally assume that the “technicality” was legitimately violated, he was likely in violation of some term of the agreement, but i wouldn’t rule out that the investigation into his situation might have been maliciously instigated, i’m more middle ground then most of the two camps discussing here.

but again, personal opinions aside, i find it fascinating the spectrum of opinions on any subject were the information isn’t readily available. those specific types of discussions are fascinating to me specifically because people weigh in based on their own personal raison d’ĂȘtre. like i said humans are fascinating.

1 Like

It would be a rather boring discussion, wouldn’t it, if we all just said “I don’t really know what happened so I can’t comment”!

But, while it is true that we don’t know all the facts, it’s not true that we don’t know any of the facts. And partial information can form the basis of legitimate commentary. And in this case, it seems to me extremely likely that Graeber is in the wrong here. I’ll acknowledge that this is undoubtedly influenced by my own cognitive bias as a former NYC resident, and current out-of-stater who has to pay significantly more than a NYC resident would in order to maintain a pied-à-terre there. But let’s look at only the facts.

We have statements by one of the actors that, naturally, put that actor in the best possible light, as a victim of unfair persecution: “family home for 52 years”, “evicted on a technicality”, “administrative harassment”, “police intelligence”. It’s all enough to make the blood boil – a clear case of the strong taking advantage of the weak – and indeed, that was my first reaction when I read the headline.

We don’t have any statements by the other actor(s) – police, landlord, etc.

But there is some fairly solid external evidence available to us. Fact #1: The guy, by his own statements, and according to many trusted public sources, lives in London. Fact #2: It is illegal to hold the lease to a NYC rent-controlled apartment if it is not your primary residence. We don’t have any direct statement that the apartment in question was rent-controlled, but we can infer with very high confidence that it is, because in NYC, any apartment where the same name has been on the lease for 52 years (which we know to be the case here, because he stated he was evicted because his parents never put his name on the lease) is definitely rent-controlled. So I don’t see it as that important that we don’t know ALL the facts. We know some pretty important ones.

I don’t think it’s necessarily “assuming the worst” of Graeber to point out that he was very, very likely evicted, not because of a “technicality,” but because he doesn’t actually live in New York and is not legally entitled to a rent-controlled apartment. I make no statements about his character. I don’t know the guy and I haven’t followed his story, nor have I read his books (although I’ve been meaning to tackle “Debt”). But I do think it’s important for people, especially those who may not be familiar with the way rentals work in NYC, to be aware of information that potentially changes the interpretation of the story

To wit: (1) the fact that the place was a “family home for 52 years” is irrelevant if it wasn’t his primary residence, and (2) there would be no need for “administrative harassment” or “police intelligence” to get him evicted on a “technicality” – once the landlord simply realized that the guy lived in London, he could get an eviction (which, for a rent-controlled apartment, he’d be highly motivated to do). Open-and-shut case.

2 Likes

Certainly within the realms of possibility. It’s a ~2-hour train ride each way; I do it myself almost weekly. But commuting is much less plausible for someone living in London, especially now that Concorde is no longer flying!

It certainly is a key point morally, if he was living in London as his primary long-term residence and the NYC was just his vacation place. If he was, then it’s not morally wrong for him to lose the apartment. Whatever the legal technicalities are.

Still could totally be selective enforcement also.